MSC-195 General Specifications
Class: Falcon-class minesweeper
Complement: 40 Officers and Enlisted
Displacement: 362 tons
Length: 144 feet 3 inches
Beam: 27 feet 2 inches
Draft: 12 feet
Final Disposition: Transferred to Indonesia 1971
USS LIMPKIN (MSC-195)
The second Limpkin (MSC-195) was laid down 17 April 1953 by Breward Marine
launched 22 May 1954; sponsored by Mrs. Edward Applegate; and commissioned 10 April 1955
Lt. T. E. Vines in command.
After reporting to Mine Division 45 at Charleston
15 April 1955
the new coastal minesweeper proceeded to Narragansett Bay
for shakedown. Returning to Charleston 19 June
Limpkin trained with the Fleet Sonar School
20 July to 3 August
then returned home for operations off South Carolina and a post shake down overhaul.
Transferred to Mine Division 41 on New Year's Day
during 1956 Limpkin worked with the Mine Evaluation Depot
Fla.; spent a gruelling month undergoing refresher training at Guantanamo Bay
Cuba: and participated in a minesweeping exercise with the Atlantic Fleet.
Shifting home port to Yorktown
site of the Navy Mine Warfare School
in January 1957
for the next 2 years the ship trained Navy men in the dangers and intricacies of minesweeping operations.
Changing her home port to Little Creek Va.
1 January 1959
Limpkin operated with the amphibious forces of the Atlantic Fleet and tested experimental minesweeping gear in the Chesapeake Bay. The ship departed Little Creek 29 September 1960 for the NATO exercise "Sweepclear" off Nova Scotia. Calling briefly at Boston
Limpkin arrived Halifax 6 October and operated with Canadian minesweeps until 19 October.
Returning to Little Creek 26 October
the ship soon deployed to the Caribbean
and San Juan
during the 3-month cruise and participating in LANTPHIBEX 1-61. For the remainder of 1961
she patrolled Chesapeake Bay
evaluating new equipment and training recruits.
Following another LANTPHIBEX in the Caribbean during early 1962
Limpkin returned to Nova Scotia in October 1962 for a Joint operation "Sweepclear" with Canadian Mine Squadron 1. In 1963
plus operating in the Chesapeake Bay
the ship gained more invaluable training with the Canadians
as "Sweepclear" shifted to Mayport
thus providing familiarity with the breadth and unity of American-Canadian defense for the eastern coast of North America.
Limpkin continued this pattern of service
perfecting the dangerous art of mine warfare in operations along the Atlantic coast and in the Caribbean until late 1968. On 26 September 1968 she decommissioned and was placed in service as a Naval Reserve training ship
based at Perth Amboy
N.J. She continues to give reservists first hand training into 1969. [Transcriber's Note: Limpkin was disposed of by Navy sale 1 September 1976.]
[Note: The above USS LIMPKIN (MSC-195) history may or may not contain text provided by crew members of the USS LIMPKIN (MSC-195) or by other non-crew members and text from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships]