USS MALOY (DE-791)
was laid down by Consolidated Steel Corp., Orange, Tex., 10 May 1943; launched
18 August 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Thomas J. Maloy, widow of Chief Watertender
Maloy; and commissioned 13 December 1943, Lt. Frederic D. Kellogg in command.
Maloy spent her
entire World War II service with the Atlantic Fleet. On her first assignment
she escorted troop transports to the Panama Canal and screened an escort
carrier back to the east coast. Then in early March 1944 she crossed the Atlantic
to Northern Ireland and until June conducted amphibious training along the
English coast in preparation for the invasion of France.
On D‑Day, 6 June 1944, Maloy supported
operations off Omaha Beach in this hard‑fought assault where naval
gunfire support played a decisive role in victory. She continued to patrol off
the Normandy coast and among the Channel Islands for the remainder of the war,
raiding enemy shipping whenever possible. With the capitulation of Germany 8
May 1945, she escorted the first convoy to reenter St. Peter Port, Guernsey,
Channel Islands. The destroyer escort then returned to the United States,
arriving 18 June 1945.
The following May, Maloy commenced
working for Operational Development Force, New London Detachment, and was redesignated
EDE‑791, 14 August 1946. For the next 18 years Maloy played a
large role in the ever‑changing Navy, primarily testing and evaluating
experimental equipment in connection with various projects of the Underwater
Sound Laboratory. While testing the new equipment, Maloy continued to
fulfill regular duties, which included service as a school and training ship
for the Fleet. Sonar School at Key West, and participated in antisubmarine
warfare, convoy and other fleet exercises.
During this time she also successfully completed
emergency assignments. At Portland, Maine, 11 November 1947 to 25 March 1948, Maloy
provided electrical power for the city when, because of extreme drought
conditions, local power companies could not draw on their normal power source, the
lakes and rivers of the area. In May and June 1961, she cruised off the
Dominican Republic to provide, if necessary, protection for American citizens
during the revolution in that country. And the following year she provided
support for the Cuban quarantine of October‑November.
For the next 2 years, Maloy continued her test and evaluation
assignments. She decommissioned at Philadelphia 28 May 1965 and was struck from
the Navy list 1 June 1965. On 11 March 1966, she was sold to the North American
Smelting Co. of Wilmington, Del., for scrap.
Maloy received one battle star for World War II
[Note: The above USS MALOY (DE-791) history may, or may not, contain text provided by crew members of the USS MALOY (DE-791), or by other non-crew members, and text from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships]