For RATING SHIRTS - Click on your Rating Abbreviation below:
Click on your Rating abbreviation above:




Click to view crew list

USS WALKER (DD-517) - a Fletcher-class destroyer

In Commission 1943 to 1969

DD-517 Deployments - Major Events

Add a DD-517 Shellback Initiation Add a DD-517 Deployment - Major Event
Month Year to Month Year Deployment / Event
AUG1942-Keel Date: 31 AUG 1942
at Bath Iron Works Bath ME
JAN1943-Launch Date: 31 JAN 1943
APR1943-Commissioned: 3 APR 1943
FEB1955-JUL1955West Pac
NOV1959-SEP1960West Pac
JAN1960-FEB1960Blue Nose - Arctic Circle
APR1960- Shellback Initiation - 26 APR 1960 - Pacific Ocean
SEP1960-Shellback Initiation - 16 SEP 1960 - Pacific Ocean
MAR1961-MAR1962West Pac
JUN1961-FEB1962West Pac
AUG1961-FEB1962West Pac
SEP1961-Shellback Initiation - 16 SEP 1961 - Pacific Ocean
JUL1963-OCT1963West Pac-Viet Nam
MAR1966-APR1967West Pac-Viet Nam
SEP1966-FEB1967Overhaul at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard
JAN1967-JAN1968West Pac-Viet Nam
APR1967-OCT1967West Pac
JAN1968-OCT1968West Pac-Viet Nam
AUG1968-MAR1969West Pac
AUG1968-FEB1969West Pac-Viet Nam
JAN1969-JAN1969WestPac - Shellback Initiation 27 January
JUL1969-Decommissioned: 2 JUL 1969

DD-517 General Specifications

Class: Fletcher-class destroyer

Named for: John Grimes Walker

Complement: 336 Officers and Enlisted

Displacement: 2050 tons

Length: 376 feet 6 inches

Beam: 39 feet 8 inches

Flank Speed: 35 knots

Range: 6500 Nautical Miles

Final Disposition:Sold to Italy 2 July 1969


The second Walker (DD-517) was laid down on 31 August 1942 by the Bath Iron Works Corp. Bath Maine; launched on 31 January 1943 sponsored by Miss Sarah C. Walker and commissioned on 3 April 1943 Comdr. O. F. Gregor in command

The first seven months of Walker's service took place in the Atlantic where she was engaged in Caribbean escort duty and training exercises in preparation for Pacific combat duty. The highlights of this period included the capture of 43 survivors of a Nazi U-boat which had been damaged by Navy air units off Cuba and the responsibility of escorting the Secretary of State Cordell Hull from San Juan Puerto Rico to Casablanca to participate in the Moscow Conference of October 1943.

Walker transited the Panama Canal on 1 November 1943 and proceeded to join the forces engaged in the conquest of Tarawa. After a month of operations in that area the destroyer took Dart in the Marshall Islands campaign from 29 January through 8 February 1944. She joined forces at Funafuti for the invasion of Kwajalein; and as part of a heavy cruiser bombardment unit she participated in numerous neutralization bombardments at Wotje and Taroa. The only Japanese resistance encountered came from shore batteries which failed to hit their mark.

From March through June 1944 Walker operated in the South Pacific escorting troops and transports from Guadalcanal to Bougainville and from various points in New Guinea. Other ports visited during this period were Purvis Bay Tulagi; Empress Augusta Bay Bougainville; Milne Bay and Buna New Guinea.

The Marianas operation involved the invasion of Saipan Tinian and Guam by forces under Admiral Raymond A. Spruance. Walker began service assigned to an escort carrier unit providing air support for the amphibious forces headed for Guam. The group departed from Kwajalein in June but due to the bitterness of the campaign for Saipan the Guam landings were postponed and the ships returned to Eniwetok. After the need for further naval support had passed Walker proceeded to Pearl Harbor for rehearsals of scheduled landings on Yap Island.

Leaving Pearl Harbor in September Walker was transferred to the 7th Fleet as a fire support ship for the invasion of the Philippines. This group of transports and destroyers sailed from Manus and arrived at Leyte Gulf on 20 October. During this operation Walker experienced her first air action and downed one enemy fighter plane as well as provided gunfire support in the Dulag area. The transports were rapidly unloaded and departed with Walker and other escorts prior to the arrival of the Japanese naval forces and the ensuing Battle of Leyte Gulf from 24 to 25 October 1944.

The group proceeded to Morotai to reload support troops for Leyte. At Morotai nightly Japanese air attacks harassed the ships but caused little damage. The group then returned to Leyte and unloaded its troops. Suicide air attacks and torpedo bombers were encountered during this trip but no damage was suffered. After a brief stop at Palau Walker received orders to return home and she reached the Mare Island Navy Yard San Francisco Calif. on Christmas Eve 1944.

The most memorable part of Walker's combat service began in mid-March 1945 when fresh from navy yard overhaul she joined Admiral Marc Mitcher's famed Task Force (TF) 58 at Ulithi Caroline Islands. This force proceeded to Kyushu and Honshu Japan for air strikes designed to neutralize and weaken Japanese air power.

Following these strikes TF 58 proceeded to Okinawa to support the amphibious assault launched there on 1 April 1945. While alone on picket duty 12 miles from the main group Walker was subjected to persistent Japanese kamikaze attacks. One suicider crashed dangerously close its wing parting a lifeline on the forward portion of the shin. Another plane dropped a torpedo just after dark which passed close astern. During that night Walker's agile maneuvers and accurate guns beat off three more such attacks.

After 80 days at sea the task group returned to port. During this period Walker towed Haggard (DD-555) to Kerama Retto near Okinawa after she had been damaged by kamikaze hits.

The destroyer continued operations through July and August with the 3d Fleet and encountered no Japanese air opposition. Walker was among the ships which bombarded Kamaishi Honshu Japan on 18 July and made a similar attack at Hammahatsu and a return trip to Kamaishi. The coming of peace resulted in Walker entering Tokyo after a period of air-rescue duty during the airborne phase of the occupation.

On 1 November 1945 Walker arrived from the forward area at San Pedro Calif.; and on 31 May 1946 she was placed out of commission in reserve at San Diego. The ship remained in "mothballs" until 15 September 1950 when she was recommissioned and converted to an escort destroyer. From the time of her recommissioning until 27 February 1951 Walker remained in yard overhaul.

Following a shakedown cruise the escort destroyer departed San Diego and participated in the atomic Exercise "Greenhouse" at Eniwetok until June 1951. The next month the ship joined the newly formed Escort Destroyer Squadron 1 based at Pearl Harbor Hawaii. She remained in Hawaii until November 1951 when she sailed for the western Pacific and joined the United Nations Blockading Force assisting UN ground troops in the Korean War. She escorted the fast carrier task forces which were supporting ground units with strategic air strikes. Thus ended Walker's Korean War service.

Walker returned to Pearl Harbor during March 1952 and conducted type training and routine exercises for the next several months. On 2 June the escort destroyer sailed for her second western Pacific deployment. From that time until 29 December 1963 Walker completed nine such deployments. These very active years were spent for the most part conducting antisubmarine warfare exercises and various operations with her task group and elements of the Republic of Korea Navy and the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force. Walker's many "People to People" visits during this period helped to spread American good will abroad. Highlights of these years included assistance to the town of Konlya Amami Oshima which had suffered major damage from a raging fire in September 1958 and as a recovery ship for the space flight project "Mercury" on 28 September 1962.

On 4 January 1964 Walker commenced a two-week tender availability at Pearl Harbor with Bryce Canyon (AD-36). On 31 January the ship officially entered the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard for overhaul. The completion of yard overhaul on 30 April marked the commencement of local exercises in preparation for refresher training. On 19 May Walker took part in the filming of the movie "None But The Brave" at the island of Kauai. After a month of refresher training and an administrative inspection the escort destroyer underwent upkeep which took her through June.

The summer months found Walker engaged in local operations. On 17 August 1964 the ship continued her movie career with a supporting role in Otto Preminger's production of "In Harm's Way." During October and November the escort destroyer underwent a preemployment inspection and an operational readiness inspection which was concluded on 20 November three days prior to departure for a western Pacific deployment.

On 3 December 1964 Walker arrived at Yokosuka Japan where she joined in Exercise "Tall Back" with the carrier Yorktown. (CVS-10) followed by duties on the junk patrol which combatted the infiltration of arms into South Vietnam from North Vietnam and communist China. During this period the escort destroyer performed a month of uneventful duty on the Taiwan patrol.

Walker departed Vietnam waters on 27 April and after a brief stop at Yokosuka Japan arrived at Pearl Harbor on the 13th of May. The remainder of May and June was spent in leave and upkeep. The escort destroyer spent the rest of the year in local operations. On 8 December Walker was drydocked and spent the holiday season in leave and upkeep.

January 1966 saw the ship taking part in local operations and making preparations for an upcoming deployment. On 7 February she commenced a six month cruise arriving at Yokosuka via Midway Island 10 days later. Duty in the South China Sea began on 28 February with assignments as a planeguard and as a naval gunfire support ship. Walker's first offensive actions of the Vietnam War occurred on 5 March in support of United States and Allied forces. This assignment was interrupted by patrol duty in the Taiwan Strait and rest and rehabilitation at Keelung Taiwan; and Hong Kong.

Walker returned to Qui Nhon South Vietnam on 22 April and began support missions shooting direct fire at the Vietcong coastal supply areas and troop concentrations. The second ship on station Walker received sporadic machine gunfire from the enemy ashore while a gig was returning with spotters and advisors to the ship for a briefing. This was the first time since World War II that Walker had been subjected to hostile fire.

On 26 April 1966 the escort destroyer supplied direct indirect harassment and interdiction support for Operation "Osage " a combined amphibious assault at Chu Lai. These duties were interrupted to escort a Marine Corps motor convoy from Danang to Phu Bai on 28 April. On the 1st of May the ship detached and proceeded independently for repairs at Sasebo Japan via Buckner Bay Okinawa.

Walker set course on 17 May for Manila Bay Philippines where she joined in SEATO antisubmarine warfare Exercise "Sea Imp" which lasted until 6 June. The ship next joined Taylor (DDE-458) for a month of patrol duty in the Taiwan Strait during which time she rescued a Nationalist Chinese fishing boat adrift for 48 hours. The escort destroyer returned to Yokosuka Japan on 8 July.

Instead of departing for home Walker received orders to replace Walke (DD 723) in antisubmarine exercises in the Sea of Japan. These exercises included the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force and naval units of the Republic of Korea. On 24 July a Soviet Kotlin - class destroyer was sighted as it commenced shadowing the Allied group. Walker was designated to shoulder the Russian destroyer and she was successful in preventing the attempted penetration of the screen by the Russian ship and her replacement. Walker also assumed duty on 29 July as a shadow against the Soviet Elint (electronics intelligence) trawler Izmeritel.

On 1 August 1966 Walker detached and proceeded to Yokosuka from whence she began the transit to Hawaii. She arrived at Pearl Harbor on 10 August and made preparations for a yard overhaul. Walker entered the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard on 19 September and remained in overhaul status for the rest of calendar year 1966.

Regular overhaul was completed on 3 February 1967 and type training exercises refresher training and an operational readiness evaluation followed. On 18 April Walker departed Pearl Harbor en route to Japan. From 4 to 17 May the task group embarked on a transit of the Sea of Japan to demonstrate antisubmarine and antiair capabilities with the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force.

On 10 May 1967 Walker relieved Taylor (DDE-468) of screening duty for Hornet (CVS-12) from the Soviet Kotlin-class destroyer (DD-022) which was attempting to close Hornet and harass the task group. A collision occurred between the two ships with minor damage sustained by both ships. The next day Walker was again involved in screening duties with a Soviet ship. Late in the afternoon a Soviet Krupnyy-class destroyer (DDGS-025) began to maneuver in an attempt to close Hornet Walker effectively maneuvered the ship away. The Soviet destroyer than signaled a left turn. Walker signaled "do not cross ahead of me." The Soviet ship came left and collided with Walker causing minor damage to both ships. Following exercises with the Republic of Korea Navy Walker returned to Sasebo Japan and held a news conference and interviews on board concerning the Sea of Japan incidents.

The escort destroyer arrived at the Gulf of Tonkin on 25 May 1967. Walker served in several capacities: providing call fire harassment and interdiction fire for airborne spotters; acting as a rescue destroyer for Hornet ( CVS-12) Bon Homme Richard ( CVA-31) and Constellation (CVA-64); and firing around-the clock missions for numerous Army and Marine units.

On the evening of 15 July while providing gunfire support south of Cape Batangan Walker received notification that a North Vietnamese trawler (459) carrying arms was expected to attempt a landing in the vicinity. Walker provided gunfire support for the attack on the trawler and suppressed enemy fire from the beach. The trawler was beached by the crew and abandoned with large quantities of arms ammunition and demolition equipment recovered by American forces.

Walker joined Operation "Beacon Guide" as a naval gunfire support ship on 20 July and provided preparation fire for the amphibious and helicopter assault south of Hue. After a brief tender availability at Taiwan Walker returned to the Tonkin Gulf on 9 August and operated with Intrepid (CVS-11) for a week prior to departure for Hong Kong.

The escort destroyer rejoined Hornet and the task group arrived at Hong Kong on 16 August then transited to Sasebo Japan for repairs. Walker returned to the Gulf of Tonkin on 7 September and was detached three days later to proceed to the Paracel Islands in the South China Sea and conduct surveillance and gather intelligence data about the Chinese communist-held islands.

Upon her return to the waters off Vietnam Walker reported to Coral Sea (CVA 43) for duty as her escort and spent the majority of September in various antisubmarine warfare exercises. On 27 September Walker rejoined Hornet and rescued four survivors of an aircraft which had plunged into the water after losing an engine during launch.

On 1 October 1967 the escort destroyer returned to antisubmarine warfare exercises then headed for upkeep at Yokosuka prior to preceding to the eastern Pacific. Walker arrived at Pearl Harbor on the 23d of October and spent a month in post-deployment leave type training and a reserve cruise. Holiday leave commenced on 15 December.

Walker spent the first seven months of 1968 in her home port conducting type training and preparing for a final western Pacific deployment. On 5 August the escort destroyer got underway on the fourth western Pacific deployment since the beginning of the Vietnam conflict. She arrived at Subic Bay Philippines via Midway Island and Guam on 18 August then proceeded to Vietnam.

Planeguard duty with America (CVA-66) was Walker's first assignment. During her first night on station she rescued a man overboard from America. On 13 November Walker was relieved and proceeded to Subic Bay for upkeep. On 1 December the escort destroyer arrived at the area north of Vung Tau for gunline duty which ended on 15 December.

After a fuel stop at Subic Bay Walker continued to Cebu Philippines arriving on 18 December as part of Operation "Handclasp." The ship returned to Subic Bay on 22 December for a five-day tender availability alongside Samuel Gompers (AD-37). On 29 December Walker returned to Vietnam for a week of planeguard duty with Constellation (CVA-64).

On 5 January 1969 the escort destroyer departed for visits to Hong Kong and Subic Bay. The ship joined three other destroyers and sailed for Australia and New Zealand. Walker and Taylor visited Wollongong and Melbourne Australia and Auckland New Zealand before arriving back at Pearl Harbor on the 28th of February. March was spent in leave; and at the end of the month Walker received word that she would be decommissioned.

May was spent in port at Pearl Harbor but on 2 June Walker got underway for San Diego the designated decommissioning site. On 2 July 1969 Walker was decommissioned and stricken from the Navy list. She was sold to the Italian Navy as Fante (D-516). Fante was retired from service in 1977.

Walker earned six battle stars for World War II engagements two for service in Korea and three for Vietnam service.

[Note: The above USS WALKER (DD-517) history may or may not contain text provided by crew members of the USS WALKER (DD-517) or by other non-crew members and text from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships]