DD-394 USS Sampson
USS Sampson was built at Bath, Maine as an 1850-ton Somers class destroyer. She was commissioned during August o1938 and went to Europe on a shakedown cruise before returning to operate in the Atlantic and Caribbean until 1939. She headed to the Pacific for a year and then returned again to the Atlantic to do Neutrality Patrols between the West Indies and Newfoundland. In the late summer of 1941, USS Sampson began escort duties and conducted anti-submarine patrols during the first month of World War II, helping in any way that she could at that time.
In early 1942, USS Sampson went to Panama and was assigned to escorts and patrols along the Western edge of Latin America and other areas of the Western Pacific. In 1943, those assignments were extended into the South Pacific, where she remained until June 1944. At that point, USS Sampson was returned to the Atlantic and was employed in escorts of convoys across the Atlantic. She made five round trips to the Mediterranean Sea before taking on training duty in the summer of 1945. After this training, the USS Sampson sat idle, and was then decommissioned in November 1945. In March 1946, she was sold for scrapping.
DD-394 General Specifications
Class: Somers class destroyer
Named for: William Thomas Sampson
Complement: 287 Officers and Enlisted
Displacement: 2130 tons
Length: 381 feet
Beam: 436 feet 2 inches
Flank Speed: 32 kt
Final Disposition: Scrapped 29 March 1946