USS Hoggatt Bay (CVHE-75)
USS Hoggatt Bay was commissioned at Astoria, Oregon in January of 1944. She was used as a transport vessel, taking troops and aircraft to Pearl Harbor in March before undergoing anti-submarine training. She then cruised to Pearl Harbor and Majuro in May, patrolling against enemy submarines as had been done in the Atlantic in previous years. These operations reduced the Japanese interference in the U.S. invasion of the Marianas. The ship returned to patrols and then provided air support for various invasions and operations that were taking place. In February of 1945, the ship was sent to San Diego for repairs.
After repairs were completed, Hoggatt Bay headed for Okinawa, helping the operations that were taking place there. The ship went on to train in Leyte Gulf for a month and was then sent towards Alaska. However, the surrender occurred while the ship was in transit, causing them to change course and head for Ominato in an occupation support role. The carrier remained in the South Pacific until September of 1945, when she was used with the ‘Magic Carpet’ operation and then returned to Boston. Decommissioned in 1946, the ship was placed in the Atlantic Reserve Fleet and then sold for scrap in March of 1960. The vessel received five battle stars for service in World War II.