USS Hollandia (CVE-97)
USS Hollandia was formerly classified as AVG-97 and ACV-97 before reclassifying as CVE-97. The vessel was commissioned in mid-1944, and was sent from San Diego to Espiritu Santo. This cruise was for two purposes. The first was a shakedown, and then the ship was used to transport replacement aircraft on her way back home.
The carrier made similar cruises in the following months from the U.S. to the Pacific, Manus, Guam, and Ulithi, responsible for transporting goods and passengers. USS Hollandia was anchored in Ulithi when Okinawa’s attack began. The vessel immediately headed for the coast, bringing fighters and support to the attack. Then, the ship returned to San Diego in May of 1945 and was again used for transport for a round trip to Pearl Harbor.
Hollandia then departed in June to take her place in the Pacific War battles, which included loading replacement aircraft and bringing replenishments to the forces that were attacking Japan. After the war, she was converted in Guam to a passenger vessel and was responsible for bringing home thousands of service members.
In 1946, she arrived in Puget Sound and was decommissioned the following year. After two reclassifications, the ship was sold in 1960 for scrap. Hollandia did receive two battle stars for her service in WWII.