USS Corregidor started out as Auguilla Bay. She was then renamed Corregidor and launched in 1943. The Navy acquired her and she was formally commissioned as CVE-58 on Aug. 31, 1943. The name Corregidor came from the name of the fortress in Manila Bay where American and Filipino forces were overwhelmed by Japanese invader sin May 1942. Over the next few months, the ship participated in the operations at the Gilbert Islands and for the invasion of Kwajalein.
After that she went to Guadalcanal and provided air cover for landings on Emirau Island, Hollandia and Saipan. In July of 1944, she provided bombardments of Guam and then air support for the invasion. At that point, she went back to San Diego for an overhaul.
Returning in October, Corregidor undertook a hunter-killer mission near the Hawaiian Islands. Early the next year, the ship patrolled the waters between Hawaii and Eniwetok to protect shipping. She also conducted antisubmarine operations off of Eniwetok and Japanese held islands in the Marshalls.
Up until the end of the war, the ship was then assigned duty as a training ship in Hawaii. Alternating training, she also carried home troops to San Diego. She was put in reserve in July 1946. She returned to duty in May 1951 as a transport ship for aircraft and men. After a brief stint in the Mediterranean the ship was decommissioned in September of 1958.