USS Barnes, named for a sound located in Florida, was brought into service on Feb20, 1943. The ship’s first three voyages were to provide ferrying service for aircraft and service personnel. Afterwards, she was re-designated CVE-20 in July 1943 as an escort aircraft carrier. After a brief refitting, the ship was put into combat operations in October with the attack on the Gilbert Islands. Her group’s target was Tarawa.
By the end of November, the ship was put back to doing ferrying duties all around the Pacific area. She made deliveries to Espiritu Santo, the New Hebrides, and the Marshalls on different voyages. She made several round trips from the west coast to Hawaii, delivering aircraft and men as needed.
Barnes’ next combat mission came in September of 1944 with the operations in the Western Carolines. She provided additional planes and men for the operations. As aircraft became disabled, the ship would provide new planes and aircrews. She spent the fall of 1944 replenishing the forward line of aircraft carriers. During 1945, the ship was sent on four more ferrying and transport runs in the Pacific. After the war ended, she did a few more passenger runs before being decommissioned on Aug. 29, 1946.