For RATING SHIRTS - Click on your Rating Abbreviation below:
Click on your Rating abbreviation above:




Click to view crew list

USS Wasp (CV-18)

Wasp was commissioned as an Essex-class aircraft carrier in November of 1943. In May of 1944, she was sent to the Pacific and immediately went into combat. USS Wasp was part of the Marianas Campaign along with other central Pacific combat efforts. Then, she was sent for support of the attack on the Palaus, Okinawa, Formosa, the Philippines, and the Battle of Leyte Gulf.

Wasp also supported the invasion of Iwo Jima and attacks on Japan during the end of World War II. In October of 1946, the ship returned home and was responsible for transporting service members back to the U.S. until it was decommissioned in February of 1947.

She was modernized in 1948 and recommissioned in 1951 to join the Atlantic Fleet. Wasp was on her way to Gibraltar when she collided with the Hobson, a destroyer minesweeper that sank as a result. Wasp remained intact, but required a trip home to repair the damage done to her bow. Later that year, the ship was reclassified and transferred back to the Pacific in 1953.

In 1956, Wasp became anti-submarine support and she went back to the Atlantic in 1957. During the 1960s, Wasp served as a recovery ship for five manned space missions, and was then decommissioned in 1972. She was sold for scrapping in May of 1973.

CV-18 Deployments - Major Events

Add a CV-18 Shellback Initiation Add a CV-18 Deployment - Major Event
Month Year to Month Year Deployment / Event
MAR1942-Keel Date: 18 MAR 1942
at Fore River Shipyard
AUG1943-Launch Date: 17 AUG 1943
NOV1943-Commissioned: 24 NOV 1943
SEP1944-Shellback Initiation - 1 SEP 1944 - Pacific Ocean
MAY1952-OCT1952Antarctic Circle
SEP1952-AUG1953Blue Nose - Arctic Circle
SEP1952-SEP1952Operation Mainbrace/Blue Nose
SEP1952-Shellback Initiation - 16 SEP 1952 - Atlantic Ocean
SEP1953-OCT1953Nato Operation North Atlantic then thru the Med and the Suez Can
OCT1953-OCT1953Ships history is wrong we did not use the Panama Canal in 1953
OCT1953-APR1954Suez via Phillipines to Japan and Korea with 7th Fleet
OCT1953-Shellback Initiation - 30 OCT 1953 - Pacific Ocean
APR1954-APR1954Crossing the International date line
JUL1958-SEP1958Lebanon Crisis
JUL1960-SEP1960Evacuation of Civilians from Leopoldville Belgium Congo
FEB1962-MAY1962Blue Nose - Arctic Circle
MAY1962- Shellback Initiation - 12 MAY 1962 - Atlantic Ocean
OCT1962-NOV1962Cuban Missle Blockade
OCT1962-OCT1962Refueling incident with USS Holder.
FEB1964-MAY1964Guantanamo Bay
JUN1965-JUN1965Gemini vl Recovery
JAN1966-SEP1968North Atlantic
MAY1966-JUN1966VS - 31 on board CVS -18 Gemini 9 Recovery
NOV1966-NOV1966Gemini XII Splashdown on 15 Nov 1966
JAN1967-JAN1968Dry Dock
MAY1970-SEP1970North Atlantic
MAY1970-JUL1970North Atlantic-Med-Indian Ocean
JUL1972-Decommissioned: 1 JUL 1972

CV-18 General Specifications

Class: Essex-class aircraft carrier

Complement: 2600 Officers and Enlisted

Length: 820 feet

Draft: 28 feet 5 inches

Flank Speed: 33 knots

Range: 20 000 nautical miles


The ninth Wasp (CV-18) was laid down as Oriskany on 18 March 1942 at Quincy Mass. by the Bethlehem Steel Co.; renamed Wasp on 13 November 1942; launched on 17 August 1943; sponsored by Miss Julia M. Walsh the sister of Senator Davi d I. Walsh of Massachusetts and commissioned on 24 November 1943 Capt. Clifton A. F. Sprague in command.

Following a shakedown cruise which lasted through the end of 1943 Wasp returned to Boston for a brief yard period to correct minor flaws which had been discovered during her time at sea. On 10 January 1944 the new aircraft carrier departed Bost on; steamed to Hampton Roads Va.; and remained there until the last day of the month when she sailed for Trinidad her base of operations through 22 February. She returned to Boston five days later and prepared for service in the Pacific. Early in March the ship sailed south; transited the Panama Canal; arrived at San Diego Calif. on 21 March; and reached Pearl Harbor on 4 April.

Following training exercises in Hawaiian waters Wasp steamed to the Marshall Islands and at Majuro Rear Admiral Alfred E. Montgomery's newly formed Task Group (TG) 58.6 of Vice Admiral Marc A. Mitscher's Fast Carrier Task Force (TF 58). On 14 M ay she and her sister carriers of TG 58.6 Essex (CV-9) and San Jacinto (CV-30) sortied for raids on Marcus and Wake Islands to give the new task group combat experience; to test a recently devised system of assigning-before takeoff-each p ilot a specific target and to neutralize those islands for the forthcoming Marianas campaign. As the force neared Marcus it split sending San Jacinto north to search for Japanese picket boats while Wasp and Essex launched strikes o n the 19th and 20th aimed at installations on the island. American planes encountered heavy antiaircraft fire but still managed to do enough damage to prevent Japanese forces on the island from interfering with the impending assault on Saipan.

When weather canceled launches planned for the 21st the two carriers rejoined San Jacinto and steamed to Wake. Planes from all three carriers pounded that island on the 24th and were sufficiently effective to neutralize that base. However the system of pre-selecting targets for each plane fell short of the Navy's expectations and thereafter tactical air commanders resumed responsibility for directing the attacks of their planes.

After the strike on Wake TG 58.6 returned to Majuro to prepare for the Mariana campaign. On 6 June Wasp-reassigned to TG 58.2 which was also commanded by Rear Admiral Montgomery-sortied for the invasion of Saipan. During the afternoon of the 1 1th she and her sister carriers launched fighters for strikes against Japanese air bases on Saipan and Tinian. They were challenged by some 30 land-based fighters which they promptly shot down. Antiaircraft fire was heavy but the American planes braved it as they went on to destroy many Japanese aircraft which were still on the ground.

During the next three days the American fighters-now joined by bombers-pounded installations on Saipan to soften up Japanese defenses for American assault troops who would go ashore on the 15th. That day and thereafter until the morning of the 17th p lanes from TG 58.2 and TG 58.3 provided close air support for marines fighting on the Saipan beachhead.

The fast carriers of those task groups then turned over to escort carriers responsibility for providing air support for the American ground forces refueled and steamed to rendezvous with TG 58.1 and 58.4 which were returning from strikes against Chic hi Jima and Iwo Jima to prevent Japanese air bases on those islands from being used to launch attacks against American forces on or near Saipan.

Meanwhile Japan-determined to defend Saipan no matter how high the cost-was sending Admiral Jisaburo Ozawa's powerful First Mobile Fleet from the Sulu Islands to the Marianas to sink the warships of Admiral Spruance's 5th Fleet and to annihilate the American troops who had fought their way ashore on Saipan. Soon after the Japanese task force sortied from Tawi Tawi on the morning of 13 June American submarine Redfin (SS-272) spotted and reported it. Other submarines-which from time to time mad e contact with Ozawa's warships-kept Spruance posted on their progress as they wended their way through the Philippine Islands transited San Bernardino Strait and entered the Philippine Sea.

All day on the 18th each force sent out scout planes in an effort to locate its adversary. Because of their greater range the Japanese aircraft managed to obtain some knowledge of Spruance's ships but American scout planes were unable to find Ozawa' s force. Early the following morning 19 June aircraft from Mitscher's carriers headed for Guam to neutralize that island for the coming battle and in a series of dogfights destroyed many Japanese land-based planes.

During the morning carriers from Ozawa's fleet launched four massive raids against their American counterparts but all were thwarted almost completely. Nearly all of the Japanese warplanes were shot down while failing to sink a single American ship. They did manage to score a single bomb hit on South Dakota (BB-57) but that solitary success did not even put the tough Yankee battleship out of action.

That day Mitscher's planes did not find the Japanese ships but American submarines succeeded in sending two enemy carriers to the bottom. In the evening three of Mitscher's four carrier task groups headed west in search of Ozawa's retiring fleet le aving only TG 58.4 and a gun line of old battleships in the immediate vicinity of the Marianas to cover ground forces on Saipan. Planes from the American carriers failed to find the Japanese force until mid-afternoon on the 20th when an Avenger pilot repo rted spotting Ozawa almost 300 miles from the American carriers. Mitscher daringly ordered an all-out strike even though he knew that night would descend before his planes could return.

Over two hours later the American aviators caught up with their quarry. They damaged two oilers so severely that they had to be scuttled; sank carrier Hiyo and scored damaging but non-lethal hits on carriers Ryuho Junyo and Zuikaku and several other Japanese ships. However during the sunset attack the fuel gauges in many of tee American planes registered half empty or more presaging an anxious flight back to their now distant carriers.

When the carriers spotted the first returning plane at 2030 that night Rear Admiral J. J. Clark bravely defied the menace of Japanese submarines by ordering all lights to be turned on to guide the weary fliers home.

After a plane from Hornet landed on Lexington Mitscher gave pilots permission to land on any available deck. Despite these unusual efforts to help the Navy's airmen a good many planes ran out of gasoline before they reached the carriers and dropped into the water.

When fuel calculations indicated that no aircraft which had not returned could still be aloft Mitscher ordered the carriers to reverse course and resume the stern chase of Ozawa's surviving ships-more in the hope of finding any downed fliers who might still be alive and pulling them from the sea than in the expectation of overtaking Japan's First Mobile Fleet before it reached the protection of the Emperor's land-based planes. During the chase Mitcher's ships picked up 36 pilots and 26 crewmen.

At mid-morning of the 21st Admiral Spruance detached Wasp and Bunker Hill from their task group and sent them with Admiral Lee's battleships in Ozawa's wake to locate and destroy any crippled enemy ships. The ensuing two-day hunt failed to flush out any game so this ad hoc force headed toward Eniwetok for replenishment and well-earned rest.

The respite was brief for on 30 June Wasp sortied in TG 58.2-with TG 68.1-for strikes at Iwo Jima and Chichi Jima. Planes from the carriers pounded those islands on 3 and 4 July and during the raids destroyed 75 enemy aircraft for the most part in the air. Then as a grand finale cruisers from the force's screen shelled Iwo Jima for two and one-half hours. The next day 5 July the two task groups returned to the Marianas and attacked Guam and Rota to begin more than a fortnight's effort to soften the Japanese defenses there in preparation for landings on Guam. Planes from Wasp and her sister carriers provided close air support for the marines and soldiers who stormed ashore on the 21st.

The next day Wasp's task group TG 58.2 sortied with two other groups of Mitscher's carriers headed southwest toward the Western Carolines and launched raids against the Palaus on the 25th. The force then parted with TG 58.1 and TG 58.3 stea ming back north for further raids to keep the Bonin and Volcano Islands neutralized while Wasp in TG 582 was retiring toward the Marshalls for replenishment at Eniwetok which she reached on 2 August.

Toward the end of Wasp's stay at that base Admiral Halsey relieved Admiral Spruance on 26 August and the 5th Fleet became the 3d Fleet. Two days later the Fast Carrier Task Force-redesignated TF 38-sortied for the Palaus. On 6 September Wa sp now assigned to Vice Admiral John S. McCain's TG 38.1-began three days of raids on the Palaus. On the 9th she headed-with her task group TG 38.2 and TG 38.3-for the southern Philippines to neutralize air power there during the American conquest of Morotai Peleliu and Ulithi-three islands needed as advanced bases during the impending campaign to liberate the Philippines. Planes from these carriers encountered little resistance as they lashed Mindanao airfields that day and on the 10th. Raids a gainst the Visayan Islands on the 12th and 13th were carried out with impunity and were equally successful. Learning of the lack of Japanese air defenses in the southern Philippines enabled Allied strategists to cancel an invasion of Mindanao which had be en scheduled to begin on 16 November. Instead Allied forces could go straight to Leyte and advance the recapture of Philippine soil by almost a month.

D day in the Palaus 15 September found Wasp's TG 38.1 some 50 miles off Morotai launching air strikes. It then returned to the Philippines for revisits to Mindanao and the Visayas before retiring to the Admiralties on 29 September for repleni shment at Manus in preparation for the liberation of the Philippines.

Ready to resume battle she got underway again on 4 October and steamed to the Philippine Sea where TF 38 reassembled at twilight on the evening of 7 October some 375 miles west of the Marianas. Its mission was to neutralize airbases within operationa l air distance of the Philippines to keep Japanese warplanes out of the air during the American landings on Leyte scheduled to begin on 20 October. The carriers steamed north to rendezvous with a group of nine oilers and spent the next day 8 October ref ueling. They then followed a generally northwesterly course toward the Ryukyus until the 10th when their planes raided Okinawa Amami and Miyaki. That day TF 38 planes destroyed a Japanese submarine tender 12 sampans and over 100 planes. But for Lt. Co l. Doolittle's Tokyo raid from Hornet (CV-8) on 18 April 1942 and the daring war patrols of Pacific Fleet submarines this carrier foray was the United States Navy's closest approach to the Japanese home islands up to that point in the war.

Beginning on the 12th Formosa-next on the agenda-received three days of unwelcome attention from TF 38 planes. In response the Japanese Navy made an all-out effort to protect that strategic island even though doing so meant denuding its remaining ca rriers of aircraft. Yet the attempt to thwart the ever advancing American Pacific Fleet was futile. At the end of a three-day air battle Japan had lost more than 500 planes and 20-odd freighters. Many other merchant ships were damaged as were hangars b arracks warehouses industrial plants and ammunition dumps. However the victory was costly to the United States Navy for TF 38 lost 79 planes and 64 pilots and air crewmen [150] while cruisers Canberra and Houston and carrier Frankli n received damaging but non-lethal bomb hits.

From Formosa TF 38 shifted its attention to the Philippines. After steaming to waters east of Luzon Wasp's TG 58.1 began to launch strikes against that island on the 18th and continued the attack the following day hitting Manila for the first time since it was occupied by the Japanese early in the war.

On the 20th the day the first American troops waded ashore on Leyte Wasp had moved south to the station off that island whence she and her sister carriers launched some planes for close air support missions to assist MacArthur's soldiers whil e sending other aircraft to destroy airfields on Mindanao Cebu Negros Panay and Leyte. Task Group 38.1 refueled the following day and on the 22d set a course for Ulithi to rearm and provision.

While McCain's carriers were steaming away from the Philippines great events were taking place in the waters of that archipelago. Admiral Soemu Toyoda the Commander in Chief of Japan's Combined Fleet activated plan Sho-Go-1a scheme for brin ging about a decisive naval action off Leyte. The Japanese strategy called for Ozawa's carriers to act as a decoy to lure TF 38 north of Luzon and away from the Leyte beachhead. Then-with the American fast carriers out of the way-heavy Japanese surface sh ips were to debouch into Leyte Gulf from two directions: from the south through Surigao Strait and from the north through San Bernardino Strait. During much of the 24th planes from Halsey's carrier task groups still in Philippine waters pounded Admiral K urita's powerful Force "A " or Center Force as it steamed across the Sibuyan Sea toward San Bernardino Strait. When darkness stopped their attack the American aircraft had sunk superbattleship Musashi and had damaged several other Japanese warshi ps. Moreover Halsey's pilots reported that Kurita's force had reversed course and was moving away from San Bernardino Strait.

That night Admiral Nishimura's Force "C" or Southern Force attempted to transit Surigao Strait but met a line of old battleships commanded by Rear Admiral Jesse B. Oldendorf. The venerable American men-of-war crossed Nishimura's "T" and all but anni hilated his force. Admiral Shima-who was following in Nishimura's wake to lend support-realized that disaster had struck and wisely withdrew.

Meanwhile late in the afternoon of the 24th-after Kurita's Center Force had turned away from San Bernardino Strait in apparent retreat-Halsey's scout planes finally located Ozawa's carriers a bit under 200 miles north of TF 38. This intelligence promp ted Halsey to head north toward Ozawa with his Fast Carrier Task Force. However at this point he did not recall McCain's TG 68.1 but allowed it to continue steaming toward Ulithi.

After dark Kurita's Center Force again reversed course and once more headed for San Bernardino Strait. About half an hour past midnight it transited that narrow passage; turned to starboard; and steamed south down the east coast of Samar. Since Hals ey had dashed north in pursuit of Ozawa's carriers only three 7th Fleet escort carrier groups and their destroyer and destroyer escort screens were available to challenge Kurita's mighty battleships and heavy cruisers and to protect the American amphibio us ships which were supporting the troops fighting on Leyte.

Remembered by their call names "Taffy 1 " "Taffy 2 " and "Taffy 3 " these three American escort-carrier groups were deployed along Samar's east coast with "Taffy 3"-commanded by Wasp's first captain Rear Admiral Clifton A. F. Sprague-in the no rthernmost position about 40 miles off Paninihian Point. "Taffy 2" was covering Leyte Gulf and "Taffy 1" was still farther south watching Surigao Strait.

At 0645 lookouts on "Taffy 3" ships spotted bursts of antiaircraft fire blossoming in the northern sky as Center Force gunners opened fire on an American anti-submarine patrol plane. Moments later "Taffy 3" made both radar and visual contact with th e approaching Japanese warships. Shortly before 0700 Kurita's guns opened fire on the hapless "baby flattops" and their comparatively tiny but incredibly courageous escorts. For more than two hours "Taffy 3's" ships and planes-aided by aircraft from sis ter escort-carrier groups to the south-fought back with torpedoes guns bombs and consummate seamanship. Then at 0311 Kurita-shaken by the loss of three heavy cruisers and thinking that he had been fighting TF 38-ordered his remaining warships to brea k off the action.

Meanwhile at 0848 Admiral Halsey had radioed McCain's TG 68.1-then refueling en route to Ulithi-calling that carrier group back to Philippine waters to help "Taffy 3" in its fight for survival. Wasp and her consorts raced toward Samar at flank speed until 1030 when they began launching planes for strikes at Kurita's ships which were still some 330 miles away. While these raids did little damage to the Japanese Center Force they did strengthen Kurita's decision to retire from Leyte.

While his planes were in the air McCain's carriers continued to speed westward to lessen the distance of his pilots' return flight and to be in optimum position at dawn to launch more warplanes at the fleeing enemy force. With the first light of the 2 6th TG 38.1 and Rear Admiral Bogan's TG 38.2-which finally had been sent south by Halsey-launched the first of their strikes that day against Kurita. The second left the carriers a little over two hours later. These fliers sank light cruiser Noshiro and damaged but did not sink heavy cruiser Kumano. The two task groups launched a third strike in the early afternoon but it did not add to their score.

Following the Battle for Leyte Gulf which ended the Japanese Fleet as a serious challenge to American supremacy at sea in the Far East TG 38.1 operated in the Philippines for two more days providing close air support before again heading for Ulithi o n the 28th. However the respite-during which Rear Admiral Montgomery took command of TG 38.1 when McCain fleeted up to relieve Mitscher as CTF 38-was brief since Japanese land-based planes attacked troops on the Leyte beachhead on 1 November. Wasp participated in raids against Luzon air bases on the 5th and 6th destroying over 400 Japanese aircraft for the most part on the ground. After a kamikaze hit Lexington during the operation McCain shifted his flag from that carrier to Wasp and a short time later returned in her to Guam to exchange air groups.

Wasp returned to the Philippines a little before mid-month and continued to send strikes against targets in the Philippines-mostly on Luzon-until the 26th when the Army Air Force assumed responsibility for providing air support for troops on Ley te. TF 38 then retired to Ulithi. There the carriers received greater complements of fighter planes and in late November and early December conducted training exercises to prepare them better to deal with Japan's new threat to the American warships ka mikazes or suicide planes.

Task Force 38 sortied from Ulithi on 10 and 11 December and proceeded to a position east of Luzon for round-the-clock strikes against air bases on that island from the 14th through the 16th to prevent Japanese fighter planes from endangering landings o n the southwest coast of Mindoro scheduled for the 15th. Then while withdrawing to a fueling rendezvous point east of the Philippines TF 38 was caught in a terribly destructive typhoon which battered its ships and sank three American destroyers. The car riers spent most of the ensuing week repairing storm damage and returned to Ulithi on Christmas Eve.

But the accelerating tempo of the war ruled out long repose in the shelter of the lagoon. Before the year ended the carriers were back in action against airfields in the Philippines on Sakishima Gunto and on Okinawa. These raids were intended to smoo th the way for General MacArthur's invasion of Luzon through [151] the Lingayen Gulf. While the carrier planes were unable to knock out all Japanese air resistance to the Luzon landings they did succeed in destroying many enemy planes and thus reduced th e air threat to manageable proportions.

On the night after the initial landings on Luzon Halsey took TF 38 into the South China Sea for a week's rampage in which his ships and planes took a heavy toll of Japanese shipping and aircraft before they retransited Luzon Strait on the 16th and ret urned to the Philippine Sea. Bad weather prevented Halsey's planes from going aloft for the next few days; but on the 21st they bombed Formosa the Pescadores and the Sakishimas. The following day the aircraft returned to the Sakishimas and the Ryukyu s for more bombing and reconnaissance. The overworked Fast Carrier Task Force then headed for Ulithi and entered that lagoon on the 26th.

While the flattops were catching their breath at Ulithi Admiral Spruance relieved Halsey in command of the Fleet which was thereby transformed from the 3d to the 5th. The metamorphosis also entailed Mitscher's replacing McCain and Clark's resuming co mmand of TG 68.1-still Wasp's task group.

The next major operation dictated by Allied strategy was the capture of Iwo Jima in the Volcano Islands. Iwo was needed as a base for Army Air Force fighter planes which were to protect Mariana-based B-29 bombers during raids against the Japanese home islands and as an emergency landing point for crippled warplanes. Task Force 58 sortied on 10 February held rehearsals at Tinian and then headed for Japan.

Fighter planes took off from the carriers before dawn on the 16th to clear the skies of Japanese aircraft. They succeeded in this mission but Wasp lost several of her fighters during the sweep. Bombing sorties directed primarily at aircraft fa ctories in Tokyo followed; but clouds hid many of these plants forcing some planes to drop their bombs on secondary targets. Bad weather which also hampered Mitscher's fliers during raids the next morning prompted him to cancel strikes scheduled for t he afternoon and head the task force west.

During the night Mitscher turned the carriers toward the Volcano Islands to be on hand to provide air support for the marines who would land on beaches of Iwo Jima on the morning of the 19th.

For the next few days planes from the American carriers continued to assist the marines who were engaged in a bloody struggle to wrest the island from its fanatical defenders. On the 23d Mitscher led his carriers back to Japan for more raids on Tokyo . Planes took off on the morning of the 25th but when they reached Tokyo they again found their targets obscured by clouds. Moreover visibility was so bad the next day that raids on Nagoya were called off and the carriers steamed south toward the Ryu kyus to bomb and reconnoiter Okinawa the next prize to be taken from the Japanese Empire. Planes left the carriers at dawn on 1 March; and throughout the day they hammered and photographed the islands of the Ryukyu group. Then after a night bombardmen t by surface ships TF 58 set a course for the Carolines and anchored in Ulithi lagoon on the 4th.

Damaged as she was Wasp recorded-from 17 to 23 March-what was often referred to as the busiest week in flattop history. In these seven days Wasp accounted for 14 enemy planes in the air destroyed six more on the ground scored two 500 -pound bomb hits on each of two Japanese carriers dropped two 1 000-pound bombs on a Japanese battleship put one 1 000-pounder on another battleship hit a heavy cruiser with three 500-pound missiles dropped another 1 000-pound bomb on a big cargo ship and heavily strafed "and probably sank" a large Japanese submarine. During this week Wasp was under almost continuous attack by shore-based aircraft and experienced several close kamikaze attacks. The carrier's gunners fired more than 10 000 rou nds at the determined Japanese attackers.

On 13 April 1945 Wasp returned to the Puget Sound Navy Yard Bremerton Wash. and had the damage caused by the bomb hit repaired. Once whole again she steamed to Hawaii and after a brief sojourn at Pearl Harbor headed toward the western Pac ific on 12 July 1945. Wasp conducted a strike at Wake Island and paused briefly at Eniwetok before rejoining the rampaging Fast Carrier Task Force. In a series of strikes unique in the almost complete absence of enemy airborne planes Wasp pilots struck Yokosuka Naval Base near Tokyo numerous airfields and hidden manufacturing centers. On 9 August a suicide plane swooped down at the carrier but a Wasp pilot flying above the ship forced the enemy to splash into the sea.

Then on 15 August when the fighting should have been over two Japanese planes tried to attack Wasp's task group. Fortunately Wasp pilots were still flying on combat air patrol and sent both enemies smoking into the sea. This was the l ast time Wasp pilots and gunners were to tangle with the Japanese.

On 25 August 1945 a severe typhoon with winds reaching 78 knots engulfed Wasp and stove in about 30 feet of her bow. The carrier despite the hazardous job of flying from such a shortened deck continued to launch her planes on missions of me rcy or patrol as they carried food medicine and long-deserved luxuries to American prisoners of war at Narumi near Nagoya.

The ship returned to Boston for Navy Day 27 October 1945. On 30 October Wasp got underway for the naval shipyard in New York for a period of availability to have additional facilities installed for maximum transportation of troops. This work w as completed on 15 November 1945 and enabled her to accommodate some 5 500 enlisted passengers and 400 officers.

After receiving the new alterations Wasp was assigned temporary duty as an Operation "Magic Carpet" troop transport. On 17 February 1947 Wasp was placed out of commission in reserve attached to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet.

In the summer of 1948 Wasp was taken out of the reserve fleet and placed in the New York Naval Shipyard for refitting and alterations to enable her to accommodate the larger heavier and faster planes of the jet age. Upon the completion of thi s conversion the ship was recommissioned on 10 September 1951.

Wasp reported to the Atlantic Fleet in November 1951 and began a period of shakedown training which lasted until February 1952. After returning from the shakedown cruise she spent a month in the New York Naval Shipyard preparing for duty in dis tant waters.

On 26 April 1952 Wasp collided with destroyer minesweeper Hobson (DD-464) while conducting night flying operations en route to Gibraltar. Hobson lost 176 of the crew including her skipper. Rapid rescue operations saved 52 men. Wasp sustained no personnel casualties but her bow was torn by a 75-foot saw-tooth rip.

The carrier proceeded to Bayonne N.J. for repairs and after she entered drydock there the bow of aircraft carrier Hornet (CV-12)-then undergoing conversion-was removed and floated by barge from Brooklyn N.Y. and fitted into position on Wasp replacing the badly shattered forward end of the ship. This remarkable task was completed in only 10 days enabling the carrier to get underway to cross the Atlantic.

On 2 June 1952 Wasp relieved Tarawa (CV-40) at Gibraltar and joined Carrier Division (CarDiv) 6 in the Mediterranean Sea. After conducting strenuous flight operations between goodwill visits to many Mediterranean ports Wasp was r elieved at Gibraltar on 5 September by Leyte (CV-32).

After taking part in NATO Exercise "Mainbrace" at Greenock Scotland and enjoying a liberty period at Plymouth England Wasp headed home and arrived at Norfolk early on the morning of 13 October 1952.

On 7 November 1952 Wasp entered the New York Naval Shipyard to commence a seven-month yard period to prepare her for a world cruise which was to bring her into the Pacific Fleet once more. After refresher training in the Caribbean Wasp departed Norfolk on 16 September 1953.

After transiting the Panama Canal and crossing the Pacific the carrier made a brief visit to Japan and then conducted strenuous operations with the famed TF 77. While operating in the western Pacific she made port calls at Hong Kong Manila Yokosuka and Sasebo.

On 10 January 1954 China's Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek spent more than four hours on board Wasp watching simulated air war maneuvers in Formosan waters. On 12 March President Ramon Magsaysay of the Republic of the Philippines came on board t o observe air operations as a guest of American Ambassador Raymond A. Spruance. Wasp operated out of Subic Bay Philippines for a time then sailed for Japan where in April 1954 she was relieved by Boxer (CV-21) and sailed for her new hom e port of San Diego Calif.

Wasp spent the next few months preparing for another tour of the Orient. She departed the United States in September 1954 and steamed to the Far East visiting Pearl Harbor and Iwo Jima en route. She relieved Boxer in October 1954 and enga ged in air operations in the South China Sea with Carrier Task Group 70.2. Wasp visited the Philippine Islands in November and December and proceeded to Japan early in 1955 to join TF 77. While operating with that naval organization Wasp pr ovided air cover for the evacuation of the Tachen Islands by the Chinese Nationalists.

After the Tachen evacuation Wasp stopped at Japan before returning to San Diego Calif. in April. She entered the San Francisco Naval Shipyard in May for a seven-month conversion and overhaul. On 1 December the carrier returned to duty display ing a new canter flight deck and a hurricane bow. As 1955 ended Wasp had returned to San Diego and was busily preparing for another Far Eastern tour.

After training during the early months of 1956 Wasp departed San Diego Calif. on 23 April for another cruise to the Far East with Carrier Air Group 15 embarked. She stopped at Pearl Harbor to undergo inspection and training and then proceeded to Guam where she arrived in time for the Armed Forces Day ceremonies on 14 May. En route to Japan in May she joined TF 77 for Operation "Sea Horse " a five-day period of day and night training for the ship and air group. The ship arrived at Yokosuka on 4 June; visited Iwakuni Japan then steamed to Manila for a brief visit. Following a drydock period at Yokosuka Wasp again steamed south to Cubi Point Philippine Islands for the commissioning of the new naval air station there. Carrier Air Grou p 15 provided an air show for President Ramon Magsaysay of the Philippines and Admiral Arthur Radford. During the third week of August Wasp was at Yokosuka enjoying what was scheduled to be a fortnight's stay but she sailed a week early to aid ot her ships in searching for survivors of a Navy patrol plane which had been shot down on 23 August off the coast of communist China. After a futile search the ship proceeded to Kobe Japan and made a final stop at Yokosuka before leaving the Far East.

Wasp returned to San Diego on 15 October and while there was reclassified an antisubmarine warfare aircraft carrier CVS-18 effective on 1 November 1956. She spent the last days of 1956 in San Diego preparing for her transfer to the east coast.

Wasp left San Diego on the last day of January 1957 rounded Cape Horn for operations in the South Atlantic and Caribbean Sea then proceeded to Boston where she arrived on 21 March. The carrier came into Norfolk Va. on 6 April to embark membe rs of her crew from the Antisubmarine Warfare School. The carrier spent the next few months in tactics along the eastern seaboard and in the waters off Bermuda before returning to Boston on 16 August.

On 3 September Wasp got underway to participate in NATO Operations "Seaspray" and "Strikeback " which took her to the coast of Scotland and simulated nuclear attacks and counterattacks on 130 different land bases. The carrier returned to Boston on 23 October 1957 and entered the Boston Naval Shipyard for a major overhaul which was not completed until 10 March 1958 when she sailed for antisubmarine warfare practice at Guantanamo Bay Cuba. Upon returning to Boston on 29 April and picking up air squadrons at Quonset Point R.I. on 12 May she became the hub of TF 66 a special antisubmarine group of the 6th Fleet.

The carrier began her Atlantic crossing on the 12th of May and sailed only a few hundred miles when trouble flared in Lebanon. Wasp arrived at Gibraltar on the 21st of May and headed east making stops at Souda Bay Crete Rhodes and Athens. Wasp next spent 10 days at sea conducting a joint Italian-American antisubmarine warfare exercise in the Tyrrhenian Sea off Sardinia. On 15 July the carrier put to sea to patrol waters off Lebanon. Her Marine helicopter transport squadron left the s hip five days later to set up camp at the Beirut International Airport. They flew reconnaissance missions and transported the sick and injured from Marine battalions in the hills to the evacuation hospital at the airport. She continued to support forces a shore in Lebanon until 17 September 1958 when she departed Beirut Harbor bound for home. She reached Norfolk on 7 October unloaded supplies and then made a brief stop at Quonset Point before arriving in her home port of Boston on 11 October.

Four days later Wasp became flagship of Task Group Bravo one of two new antisubmarine defense groups formed by the Commander in Chief of the Atlantic Fleet. Wasp's air squadrons and seven destroyers were supported by shore-based seaplan e patrol aircraft. She sailed from Quonset Point on 26 November for a 17-day cruise in the North Atlantic. This at-sea period marked the first time her force operated together as a team. The operations continued day and night to coordinate and develop the task group's team capabilities until she returned to Boston on 13 December 1958 and remained over the Christmas holiday season.

Wasp operated with Task Group Bravo throughout 1959 cruising along the eastern seaboard conducting operations at Norfolk Va. Bermuda and Quonset Point R.I. On 27 February 1960 she entered the Boston Naval Shipyard for overhaul. In mid-July the carrier was ordered to the South Atlantic where she stood by when civil strife broke out in the newly independent Congo and operated in support of the United Nations airlift. She returned to her home port on 11 August 1960 and spent the remainder of the year operating out of Boston with visits to Guantanamo Bay Cuba for refresher training and exercises conducted in the Virginia capes operating areas and the Caribbean operating areas. The carrier returned to Boston on 10 December 1960 and remained in port there into the New Year.

On 9 January 1961 Wasp sailed for the Virginia capes operating area and devoted the first half of 1961 to exercises there at Narragansett Bay R.I. and at Nova Scotia. On 9 June Wasp got underway from Norfolk Va. for a three-month M editerranean cruise. The ship conducted exercises at Augusta Bay Sicily Barcelona Spain; San Remo and La Spezia Italy Aranci Bay Sardinia; Genoa Italy and Cannes France and returned to Boston on 1 September. The carrier entered the Boston Naval Shipyard for an interim overhaul and resumed operations on 6 November 1961

After loading food clothing and equipment Wasp spent the period from 11 to 18 January 1962 conducting antisubmarine warfare exercises and submarine surveillance off the east coast. After a brief stop at [153] Norfolk the ship steamed on to f urther training exercises and anchored off Bermuda from 24 to 31 January. Wasp then returned to her home port.

On 17 February a delegation from the Plymouth Plantation presented a photograph of the Mayflower II to Captain Brewer who accepted this gift for Wasp's "People to People" effort in the forthcoming European cruise.

On 18 February Wasp departed Boston bound for England and arrived at Portsmouth on 1 March. On 16 March the carrier arrived at Rotterdam Netherlands for a week's goodwill visit.

From 22 to 30 March Wasp traveled to Greenock Scotland thence to Plymouth England. On 17 April Capt. Brewer presented Alderman A. Goldberg Lord Mayor of Plymouth England a large picture of Mayflower II as a gift from the people of Plymouth Mass. On 5 May Wasp arrived at Kiel West Germany and became the first aircraft carrier to ever visit that port. The ship made calls at Oslo Norway Reykjavik Iceland and Argentia Newfoundland before returning to Boston Mass. on 16 June.

From August through October Warp visited Newport R.I. New York and Earle N.J. then conducted a dependents' cruise as well as a reserve cruise and visitors cruises. The 1st of November gave Wasp a chance to use her capabilities whe n she responded to a call from President Kennedy and actively participated in the Cuban blockade. After tension relaxed the carrier returned to Boston on 22 November for upkeep work and on 21 December she sailed to Bermuda with 18 midshipmen from Bost on area universities. Wasp returned to Boston on 29 December and finished out the year there.

The early part of 1963 saw Wasp conducting anti-submarine warfare exercises off the Virginia capes and steaming along the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica in support of the presidential visit. On 21 March President Kennedy arrived at San Jose for a conference with presidents of six Central American nations. After taking part in Fleet exercises off Puerto Rico the carrier returned to Boston on 4 April. From 11 to 18 May Wasp took station off Bermuda as a backup recovery ship for Major Gord on Cooper's historic Mercury space capsule recovery. The landing occurred as planned in the mid-Pacific near Midway Atoll and carrier Kearsage (CVA-33) picked up Cooper and his Faith 7 space craft. Wasp then resumed antisubmarine war fare exercises along the Atlantic seaboard and in the Caribbean until she underwent overhaul in the fall of 1963 for FRAM (Fleet rehabilitation and modernization) overhaul in the Boston Naval Shipyard.

In March 1964 the carrier conducted sea trials out of Boston. During April she operated out of Norfolk and Narragansett Bay R.I. She returned to Boston on 4 May and remained there until 14 May when she got underway for refresher training in waters b etween Guantanamo Bay Cuba and Kingston Jamaica before returning to her home port on 3 June 1964.

On 21 July 1964 Wasp began a round-trip voyage to Norfolk and returned to Boston on 7 August. She remained there through 8 September when she headed via the Virginia capes operating area to Valencia Spain. She then cruised the Mediterranean visiting ports in Spain France and Italy and returned home on 18 December 1964.

The carrier remained in port until 8 February 1965 and sailed for fleet exercises in the Caribbean. Operating along the eastern seaboard she recovered the Gemini IV astronauts White and McDivitt with their spacecraft on 7 June. During the summer the ship conducted search and rescue operations for an Air Force C-121 plane which had gone down off Nantucket. Following an orientation cruise for 12 congressmen on 20 to 21 August Wasp participated in joint training exercises with German and French forces. From 16 to 18 December the carrier recovered the astronauts of Gemini VI and VII and then returned to Boston on 22 December to finish out the year.

On 24 January 1966 Wasp departed Boston for fleet exercises off Puerto Rico. En route heavy seas and high winds caused structural damage to the carrier. She put into Roosevelt Roads Puerto Rico on 1 February to determine the extent of her da mages and effect as much repair as possible. Engineers were flown from Boston who decided that the ship could cease "Springboard" operations early and return to Boston. The ship conducted limited anti-submarine operations from 6 to 8 February prior to lea ving the area. She arrived at Boston on 18 February and was placed in restricted availability until 7 March when her repair work was completed.

Wasp joined in exercises in the Narragansett Bay operating areas. While the carrier was carrying out this duty a television film crew from the National Broadcasting Company was flown to Wasp on 21 March and stayed on the ship during the remainder of her period at sea filming material for a special color television show to be presented on Armed Forces Day.

The carrier returned to Boston on 24 March 1966 and was moored there until 11 April. On 27 March Doctor Ernst Lemberger the Austrian Ambassador to the United States visited the ship. On 18 April the ship embarked several guests of the Secretary of the Navy and set courses for Guantanamo Bay Cuba. She returned to Boston on 6 May.

A week later the veteran flattop sailed to take part in the recovery of the Gemini IX spacecraft. Embarked in Wasp were some 66 persons from NASA the television industry media personnel an underwater demolition recovery team and a Defense D epartment medical team. On 6 June she recovered astronauts Lt. Col. Thomas P. Stafford and Lt. Comdr. Eugene Cernan and flew them to Cape Kennedy Fla. Wasp returned their capsule to Boston.

Wasp participated in "ASWEX III " an antisubmarine exercise which lasted from 20 June through 1 July 1966. She spent the next 25 days in port at Boston for upkeep. On the 25th the carrier got underway for "ASWEX IV." During this exercise the S oviet intelligence collection vessel Agi Traverz entered the operation area necessitating a suspension of the operation and eventual repositioning of forces. The exercise was terminated on 5 August. She then conducted a dependents' day cru ise on 8 and 9 August and orientation cruises on 10 11 and 22 August. After a two-day visit to New York Wasp arrived in Boston on 1 September and underwent upkeep until the 19th. From that day to 4 October she conducted hunter/killer operation s with the Royal Canadian Navy aircraft embarked.

Following upkeep at Boston the ship participated in the Gemini XII recovery operation from 5 to 18 November 1966. The recovery took place on 15 November when the space capsule splashdown occurred within three miles of Wasp. Capt. James A. Lovel l and Maj. Edwin E. Aldrin were lifted by helicopter hoist to the deck of Wasp and there enjoyed two days of celebration. Wasp arrived at Boston on 18 November with the Gemini XII spacecraft on board. After off-loading the special Gemini sup port equipment Wasp spent 10 days making ready for her next period at sea.

On 28 November Wasp departed Boston to take part in the Atlantic Fleet's largest exercise of the year "Lantflex-66 " in which more than 100 United States ships took part. The carrier returned to Boston on 16 December where she remained through the end of 1966.

Wasp served as carrier qualification duty ship for the Naval Air Training Command from 24 January to 26 February 1967 and conducted operations in the Gulf of Mexico and off the east coast of Florida. She called at New Orleans for Mardi Gras from 4 to 8 February at Pensacola on the 11th and 12th and at Mayport Fla. on the 19th and 20th. Returning to Boston a week later she remained in port until 19 March when she sailed for "Springboard" operations in the Caribbean. On 24 March Wasp joined Salamonie [154] (AO-26) for an underway replenishment but suffered damage during a collision with the oiler. After making repairs at Roosevelt Roads she returned to operations on 29 March and visited Charlotte Amalie St. Thomas United Sta tes Virgin Islands and participated in the celebration from 30 March to 2 April which marked the 50th anniversary of the purchase of the Virgin Islands by the United States from Denmark. Wasp returned to Boston on 7 April remained in port four da ys then sailed to Earle N.J. to off-load ammunition prior to overhaul. She visited New York for three days then returned to the Boston Naval Shipyard and began an overhaul on 21 April 1967 which was not completed until early 1968.

Wasp completed her cyclical overhaul and conducted post-repair trials throughout January 1968. Returning to the Boston Naval Shipyard on the 28th the ship made ready for two months of technical evaluation and training which began early in Febru ary.

The 28th of February marked the beginning of almost five weeks of refresher training for Wasp under the operational control of Commander Fleet Training Group Guantanamo Bay Cuba. On 30 March Wasp steamed north and was in Boston from 6 to 29 April for routine upkeep and minor repairs. She then departed for operations in the Bahamas and took part in "Fixwex C " an exercise off the Bermuda coast. The carrier set course for home on 20 May but left five days later to conduct carrier qualif ications for students of the Naval Air Training Command in the Jacksonville Fla. operations area.

On 12 June Wasp and Truckee (AO-147) had a minor collision during an underway replenishment. The carrier returned to Norfolk where an investigation into the circumstances of the collision was conducted. On 20 June Wasp got underw ay for Boston where she remained until 3 August when she moved to Norfolk to take on ammunition.

On 15 June Wasp's home port was changed to Quonset Point R.I. and she arrived there on 10 August to prepare for overseas movement. Ten days later the carrier got underway for a deployment in European waters. The northern European portion of the cruise consisted of several operational periods and port visits to Portsmouth England; Firth of Clyde Scotland; Hamburg Germany and Lisbon Portugal. Wasp as part of TG 87.1 joined in the NATO Exercise "Silvertower " the largest combined naval exercise in four years. "Silvertower" brought together surface air and subsurface units of several NATO navies.

On 25 October 1968 the carrier entered the Mediterranean and the following day became part of TG 67.6. After a port visit to Naples Italy Wasp departed on 7 November to conduct antisubmarine warfare exercises in the Tyrrhenian Sea Levantin e Basin and Ionian Basin. After loading aircraft in both Taranto and Naples Italy Wasp visited Barcelona Spain and Gibraltar. On 19 December the ship returned to Quonset Point R.I. and spent the remainder of 1968 in port.

Wasp began 1969 in her home port of Quonset Point. Following a yard period which lasted from 10 January through 17 February the carrier conducted exercises as part of the White Task Group in the Bermuda operating area. The ship returned to Quon set Point on 6 March and began a month of preparations for overseas movement.

On 1 April 1969 Wasp sailed for the eastern Atlantic and arrived at Lisbon Portugal on 16 April. From 21 to 26 April she took part in joint Exercise "Trilant" which was held with the navies of the United States Spain and Portugal. One of th e highlights of the cruise occurred on 15 May as Wasp arrived at Portsmouth England and served as flagship for TF 87 representing the United States in a NATO review by Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip in which 64 ships from the 11 NATO countri es participated.

After conducting exercises and visiting Rotterdam Oslo and Copenhagen Wasp headed home on 30 June and but for a one-day United Fund cruise on 12 August remained at Quonset Point until 24 August. The period from 29 August to 6 October was de voted to alternating operations between Corpus Christi Tex. for advanced carrier qualifications and Pensacola for basic qualifications with inport periods at Pensacola.

A period of restricted availability began on 10 October and was followed by operations in the Virginia capes area until 22 November. In December Wasp conducted a carrier qualification mission in the Jacksonville operations area which lasted thr ough 10 December. The ship arrived back at Quonset Point on 13 December and remained there for the holidays.

The carrier welcomed the year 1970 moored in her home port of Quonset Point but traveled over 40 000 miles and was away from home port 265 days. On 4 January she proceeded to Earle N.J. and off-loaded ammunition prior to entering the Boston Naval Sh ipyard for a six-week overhaul on 9 January.

The carrier began a three-week shakedown cruise on 16 March but returned to her home port on 3 April and began preparing for an eastern Atlantic deployment. Wasp reached Lisbon on 25 May 1970 and dropped anchor in the Tagus River. A week later the carrier got underway to participate in NATO Exercise "Night Patrol" with units from Canada the Netherlands Portugal the United Kingdom and West Germany. On 8 June Wasp proceeded to the Naval Station Rota Spain to embark a group of midsh ipmen for a cruise to Copenhagen. During exercises in Scandinavian waters the carrier was shadowed by Soviet naval craft and aircraft. The ship departed Copenhagen on 26 June and three days later crossed the Arctic Circle.

On 13 July 1970 Wasp arrived at Hamburg Germany and enjoyed the warmest welcome received in any port of the cruise. A Visitors' Day was held and over 15 000 Germans were recorded as visitors to the carrier. After calls at Edinburgh and Glasg ow Scotland Wasp got underway on 10 August for operating areas in the Norwegian Sea. The carrier anchored near Plymouth England on 28 August and two days later sailed for her home port.

Wasp returned to Quonset Point on 8 September and remained there through 11 October when she got underway to off-load ammunition at Earle N.J. prior to a period of restricted availability at the Boston Naval Shipyard beginning on 15 October. T he work ended on 14 December; and after reloading ammunition at Earle Wasp returned to Quonset Point on 19 December to finish out the year 1970.

On 14 January 1971 Wasp departed Quonset Point R.I. with Commander ASWGRU 2 CVSG-54 and Detachment 18 from Fleet Training Group Guantanamo Bay Cuba embarked. After refresher training at Bermuda she stopped briefly at Rota Spain then p roceeded to the Mediterranean for participation in the "National Week VIII" exercises with several destroyers for the investigation of known Soviet submarine operating areas. On 12 February Secretary of the Navy John Chafee accompanied by Commander 6th Fleet Vice Admiral Isaac C. Kidd visited the carrier.

Was detached early from the "National Week" exercise on 15 February to support John F. Kennedy (CVA-67) as she steamed toward Gibraltar. Soviet ships trailed Wasp and John F. Kennedy until they entered the Strait of Sicily w hen the Soviets departed to the east. After a brief stop at Barcelona Spain Wasp began her homeward journey on 24 February and arrived at Quonset Point on 3 March.

After spending March and April in port Wasp got underway on 27 April and conducted a nuclear technical proficiency inspection and prepared for the forthcoming "Exotic Dancer" exercise which commenced on 3 May. Having successfully completed the week-long exercise Wasp was heading home on 8 May when an American Broadcasting Co. television team embarked and filmed a short news report on carrier antisubmarine warfare operations.

On 15 May the veteran conducted a dependents' day cruise and one month later participated in Exercise [155] "Rough Ride" at Great Sound Bermuda which took her to Halifax Nova Scotia.

Wasp returned to Quonset Point on 2 July 1971 and spent the next two months in preparation and execution of Exercise "Squeeze Play IX" in the Bermuda operating area. During August the ship conducted exercises with an east coast naval reserve ai r group while proceeding to Mayport Fla. She returned to her home port on 26 August and spent the next month there. On 23 September Wasp got underway for Exercise "Lantcortex 1-72" which terminated on 6 October. For the remainder of the month the carri er joined in a crossdeck operation which took her to Bermuda Mayport and Norfolk. She arrived back at Quonset Point on 4 November.

Four days later the carrier set her course for the Newport News Shipbuilding and Drydock Co. where she was in drydock until 22 November. She then returned to Quonset Point and remained in her home port for the remainder of the year preparing for decom missioning.

On 1 March 1972 it was announced that Wasp would be decommissioned and stricken from the Navy list. Decommissioning ceremonies were held on 1 July 1972. The ship was sold on 21 May 1973 to the Union Minerals and Alloys Corp. of New York City and subsequently scrapped.

Wasp earned eight battle stars for her World War II service.

[Note: The above USS WASP (CV-18) history may or may not contain text provided by crew members of the USS WASP (CV-18) or by other non-crew members and text from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships]