The USS THOMAS A. EDISON (SSBN-610), an Ethan Allen-class submarine, was commissioned on 10 MAR 1962. Built by the Electric Boat Division of the General Dynamics in Groton, Connecticut, USS THOMAS A. EDISON was involved in a collision with a US destroyer during her shake down training off the East Coast of the US in 1962. THOMAS A. EDISON spent the first four years of her service life sailing on North Atlantic - Arctic Ocean deterrent patrols from Holy Loch, Scotland. USS THOMAS A. EDISON returned to the US for overhaul in 1966-67. After overhaul she served with the Atlantic fleet until June 1973 when her homeport was changed to San Diego, CA. USS THOMAS A. EDISON was overhauled again at Mare Island NSY in 1973-74 and resumed duty with the Pacific Fleet. In December 1975 USS THOMAS A. EDISON changed her homeport to Apra Harbor, Guam. USS THOMAS A. EDISON served her country for 21 years, 8 months and 21 days, until decommissioned on 1 DEC 1983. The hulk of THOMAS A. EDISON was disposed of by Ship and Submarine Recycling Program, Puget Sound NSY, Bremerton, Washington by 1997.
The USS THOMAS A. EDISON (SSBN-610) deployment history and significant events of her service career follow:
SSBN-610 General Specifications
Class: Ethan Allen-class submarine
Named for: Named for the inventor Thomas Edison (1847-1931)
Complement: 12 Officers and 128 Enlisted
Displacement: 6900 tons
Length: 410 feet 4 inches
Beam: 33.1 feet
Flank Speed: 16 knots surfaced
Final Disposition: Recycling via Ship and Submarine Recycling Program completed 1 December 1997
USS THOMAS A. EDISON (SSBN-610)
Thomas A. Edison was laid down on 15 March 1960 at Groton, Conn., by the Electric Boat Division of
the General Dynamics Corp.; launched
on 15 June 1961; sponsored by Mrs.
Madeleine Edison Sloane; and commissioned
on 10 March 1962, Capt. Charles M. Young (Blue crew) and Capt. Walter Dedrick (Gold crew) in command.
training off the eastern coast of
the United States, Thomas A. Edison loaded Polaris missiles at Charleston, S.C., and embarked upon
her first deterrent patrol on 7
November. She concluded that patrol at the base at Holy Loch, Scotland, whence
she operated for the next four years
and 17 deterrent patrols. In
September 1966, her official home port was changed from New London, Conn., to Charleston, S.C., in preparation for her first major overhaul. She
ended her 17th patrol at Charleston on 15 October 1966 and began her overhaul on the 28th. She completed
repairs on 9 May 1968; and, after
post-overhaul sea trials and shakedown,
she embarked upon her 18th deterrent patrol
on 22 September 1968. Over the next five years, she operated out of New London and Rota, Spain, from which ports
she conducted another 19 patrols in the Atlantic.
In June of 1973, she was
transferred to the Pacific Fleet, arriving in San Diego on 11 July.
After a short period of operations with
Submarine Group 5, she moved to
Vallejo on 6 August to begin another overhaul, this time at the Mare Island Naval Shipyard. On 30 November 1974, the fleet ballistic missile
submarine completed repairs and, following shakedown in January and February of 1975, she transited the Panama Canal again in March to fire test missiles
near Cape Canaveral, Fla. She
concluded that mission in July and
retransited the canal on 8 August. Thomas A. Edison carried out operations along the west coast until December at which
time she headed for her new home port,
Guam. As of the beginning of 1980, the fleet ballistic missile submarine continued to conduct deterrent patrols from her base at Guam.
[Note: The above USS THOMAS A. EDISON (SSBN-610) history may, or may not, contain text provided by crew members of the USS THOMAS A. EDISON (SSBN-610), or by other non-crew members, and text from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships]