Click to view crew list

USS TALLADEGA (APA-208 ) - a Haskell-class attack transport

In Commission 1944 to 1946

APA-208 Deployments - Major Events

Add a APA-208 Shellback Initiation Add a APA-208 Deployment - Major Event
Month Year to Month Year Deployment / Event
JUN 1944 - Keel Date: 3 JUN 1944
AUG 1944 - Launch Date: 17 AUG 1944
OCT 1944 - Commissioned: 31 OCT 1944
FEB 1955 - MAR 1955 Transported 1st Marine Division from Inchon Korea to San Diego.
MAR 1961 - SEP 1963 West Pac-Viet Nam
JAN 1962 - JUL 1962 u.s.s. talladaga 208
JAN 1962 - JUL 1962 West Pac
FEB 1962 - JUL 1962 West Pac-Viet Nam
FEB 1962 - Shellback Initiation - 22 FEB 1962 - Pacific Ocean
DEC 1962 - JAN 1963 Cuban Missle Blockade
SEP 1963 - APR 1964 West Pac
MAR 1965 - JAN 1966 West Pac-Viet Nam
APR 1965 - NOV 1965 West Pac-Viet Nam
SEP 1965 - JAN 1968 West Pac-Viet Nam
NOV 1967 - DEC 1967 West Pac-Viet Nam
OCT 1969 - Decommissioned: 20 OCT 1969

APA-208 General Specifications

Complement: 536 Officers and Enlisted

Displacement: 12450 tons

Length: 455 feet

Beam: 62 feet

Draft: 24 feet

Flank Speed: 17 Knots


Talladega (APA-208) was laid down under Maritime Commission contract ( MCV hull 666) at Richmond Calif. on 3 June 1944 by the Permanente Metals Corp. Launched on 17 August 1944; sponsored by Miss Marie TomeRLin; and commissioned on 31 October 1944 Capt. Edward H. McMenemy in command.

Following her shakedown cruise Talladega loaded cargo and passengers at San Francisco; got underway for Hawaii on 6 December; and arrived at Pearl Harbor on the 11th. The attack transport conducted amphibious landing exercises with elements of the 28th Regimental Combat Team (RCT) 5th Marine Division to prepare for the assault on the Volcano Islands. She departed Pearl Harbor on 27 January 1945 and proceeded via Eniwetok to the Mariana Islands.

Talladega sortied from Saipan as a unit of Task Group 56.2 the Assault Group on 16 February and arrived off Iwo Jima on the morning of the 19th "D-day." After landing her troops she remained off the beaches embarking combat casualties for six days before heading back toward Saipan.

Talladega was routed onward through Tulagi and New Caledonia to the New Hebrides. She loaded troops and equipment of the 165th RCT 27th Infantry Division at Espiritu Santo on 24 March and departed the next day. Her troops were part of the reserve for the invasion of Okinawa; and after a stop at Ulithi she arrived off that island on 9 April. She finished unloading her passengers and cargo by the 14th and returned via Saipan to Ulithi.

Talladega was subsequently ordered to the Philippine Islands and arrived at Subic Bay on 31 May. She remained in the Philippines training elements of the Americal and 1st Cavalry Divisions for a projected invasion of Japan. However before the operation began Japan capitulated.

On 25 August troops of the 1st Cavalry Division embarked and the transport headed for Yokohama the next day. She disembarked her passengers there between 2 and 4 September and then returned to the Philippines to pick up soldiers of the 41st Infantry Division for transportation to Japan. The attack transport reached Kure Honshu on 5 October.

Talladega returned to Leyte on 16 October for provisions and fuel. The next day she loaded 1 934 veterans at Samar and sailed for the United States. The ship arrived at San Pedro on 3 November and disembarked her passengers. She made three more round-trips to the Pacific to return troops: to Okinawa in December 1945 to the Philippines in April 1946 and to China in July. When Talladega returned to San Francisco in July she began preparations for inactivation and assignment to the Reserve Fleet. She was placed out of commission in reserve on 27 December 1946.

The outbreak of hostilities in Korea on 25 June 1950 increased the Navy's need for active amphibious ships. Consequently Talladega was recommissioned at Hunters Point Calif. on 8 December 1951. She operated along the west coast until November 1952 when she embarked aviation personnel at San Francisco and steamed westward as a unit of Transport Division 12. The assault transport arrived at Yokosuka Japan on 29 November. She loaded men and equipment of the 1st Cavalry Division and headed for the Korean war zone.

Talladega arrived at Pusan on 14 December 1952 unloaded and returned to Japan on the 18th. During the next nine months the transport provided amphibious

training for the United Nations forces in Japan and redeployed troops from one area in Korea to another. She operated in the war zone during each of the first seven months of 1963 but June. She worked along both coasts transporting troops and supplies to such ports as Inchon Koje Do and Sokcho before returning to San Diego on 16 August 1963.

During the next 12 years the transport's operations along the west coast were broken by seven deployments to the western Pacific. In 1966 when United States forces assumed a combat role in South Vietnam Talladega stood out of Long Beach on 27 April for duty with the 7th Fleet. After calling at Pearl Harbor from 2 to 6 May she proceeded to Guam where she loaded cargo for Vietnam. She delivered the equipment and supplies at Danang on 30 and 31 May. Following upkeep at Subic Bay the attack transport moved to Okinawa to combat load the 3d Battalion 7th Marines for passage to Vietnam. On 1 July Talladega joined Task Group 76.6 composed of Iwo Jima (LPH-2) and Point Defiance (LSD-31). Marines from the three ships were assault-landed at Qui Nhon and cleared Viet Cong forces from the mountains around Qui Nhon harbor by the 6th. They then reembarked in the ships which remained in the area until 22 July

From 16 to 26 August Talladega participated in Operation "Starlight " landing marines 10 miles south of Chu Lai. On 12 September she joined Task Group 76.3 which in mid-September and early October conducted the first two raids by a Navy-Marine Corps team in the Vietnamese conflict. On 11 October the ship returned to Subic Bay and disembarked the marines and then proceeded to Okinawa to unload equipment. After calls at Yokosuka and Pearl Harbor the transport arrived at Long Beach on 17 November 1966.

Talladega returned to the western Pacific from 14 January to 17 April 1966. During this period she transported two loads of marines and their equipment from Okinawa to Chu Lai. In 1967 the transport was deployed from 21 July to 1 December. Elements of the 11th Infantry Brigade were transported to Hawaii in July; and after calling at Guam Talladega proceeded to Subic Bay. She arrived there on 27 August and began loading supplies for Vietnam. However a change in orders sent her to Japan. The transport arrived at Yokosuka on 7 September loaded supplies for Operation "Hand Clasp " and headed for Korea the next day. She offloaded supplies at Pusan from 17 to 20 September and returned to Japan. On 12 October Talladega got underway for Vietnam.

Talladega arrived at Vung Tau on 19 October and loaded "Hand Clasp" supplies for delivery to Saigon. She offloaded the supplies between 26 and 31 October. The ship then began the return voyage to the United States. After calling at Hong Kong Buckner Bay and Pearl Harbor she arrived at Long Beach on 1 Decemeber 1967.

Talladega was placed in a caretaker status for 18 months before being decommissioned in July 1969. In January 1969 she was redesignated LPA-208. On 20 October 1969 Talladega was transferred to the temporary custody of the Maritime Administration and berthed at Olympia Wash. On 1 September 1971 the ship was transferred to the permanent custody of the Maritime Administration. In July 1972 the transport was moved to Suisun Bay where she remained into October 1979.

Talladega received two battle stars for World War II two for Korea and three for Vietnam.

[Note: The above USS TALLADEGA (APA-208) history may or may not contain text provided by crew members of the USS TALLADEGA (APA-208) or by other non-crew members and text from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships]