USS ISLE ROYALE (AD-29)
Isle Royale (AD-29) was launched by Todd Pacific Shipyards, Inc., Seattle, Wash., 19 September 1945; sponsored, by Mrs. Greer A. Duncan; and delivered to
the Navy 2 July 1946 for layup in the
San Diego Reserve Fleet.
During her period of
inactivation, Isle Royale served as headquarters
ship for the San Diego Subgroup, Pacific Reserve Fleet. She was designated to replace Hamul in the active fleet, and commissioned at Long Beach 9
June 1962, taking Hamul's officers and men as that ship
decommissioned. After shakedown Isle
Royale moved to Long Beach to
begin her services to Pacific Fleet destroyers, supplying them with parts and vital repair facilities.
tender sailed for Pearl Harbor 8 February 1963 and for the next seven months
served the destroyers roaming the
Pacific on their vital peace-keeping mission. She re; turned to Long Beach from
this deployment 11 September 1963, and conducted training operations in California waters until June 1964. The ship then got underway again for Pearl Harbor, where she operated until
30 October. She returned to Long
Beach 5 November where she operated until departing 3 August 1965 for a
scheduled 6-month mid-Pacific cruise. However, upon arriving Pearl Harbor, she received orders to proceed on to
the Philippines where she tended
ships of the 7th Fleet fighting in Vietnam.
Isle Royale returned to Long Beach 5 March 1966 and operated along the West Coast until sailing again
for the Far East 16 September. She
remained in the Orient operating
primarily out of Subic Bay tending the destroyers of the 7th Fleet until her return to Long Beach 12 April 1967. Thereafter Isle Royale operated
in waters off southern California
preparing for future action.
[Note: The above USS ISLE ROYALE (AD-29) history may, or may not, contain text provided by crew members of the USS ISLE ROYALE (AD-29), or by other non-crew members, and text from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships]