MSO-430 General Specifications
Class: Agile-class minesweeper
Complement: 74 Officers and Enlisted
Displacement: 620 tons
Length: 172 feet
Beam: 36 feet
Draft: 10 feet
Final Disposition: Sold for scrap 26 January 1984
USS DIRECT (MSO-430)
The second Direct (AM-430) was launched 27 May
1953 by Hiltebrant Dry Dock Co., Kingston, N.Y.; sponsored by Mrs. D. C.
Hiltebrant; and commissioned 9 July 1954, Lieutenant Commander B. H. Dean in command. She was reclassified MSO-430 on 7 February 1955.
Based at Charleston, S.C., Direct operated on
mine-sweeping exercises and training with other ships. She also
provided services to the Fleet Sonar School at Key West,
Naval Mine Defense Laboratory at Panama City, and Mine Warfare School
at Yorktown. From 1 May to 2 October 1957 she cruised to the Mediterranean for
duty with the 6th Fleet. On 14 April 1958 her home port was
changed to Yorktown, Va., and on 15 January 1959 to Little Creek, Va.
Between 27 April and 27 August 1959 she served again in the Mediterranean, then
served in amphibious exercises and other operations through 1962.
[Note: The above USS DIRECT (MSO-430) history may, or may not, contain text provided by crew members of the USS DIRECT (MSO-430), or by other non-crew members, and text from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships]