Click on your Rating abbreviation above:




Click to view crew list

USS TUNNY (SSN-682) - a Sturgeon-class attack submarine

In Commission 1974 to 1998

SSN-682 Deployments - Major Events

Add a SSN-682 Shellback Initiation Add a SSN-682 Deployment - Major Event
Month Year to Month Year Deployment / Event
MAY 1970 - Keel Date: 22 MAY 1970
at Ingalls Shipbuilding Pascagoula MS
JUN 1972 - Launch Date: 10 JUN 1972
JAN 1974 - Commissioned: 26 JAN 1974
JAN 1975 - JUL 1975 Mediterranean
FEB 1975 - AUG 1975 Mediterranean
JUL 1976 - DEC 1976 Mediterranean
FEB 1978 - MAY 1978 Blue Nose - Arctic Circle
JUL 1978 - JAN 2009 Panama Canal Transit -- with no return to Charleston
SEP 1978 - Shellback Initiation - 6 SEP 1978 - Pacific Ocean
JAN 1979 - JUL 1979 West Pac
DEC 1981 - JUN 1982 West Pac
FEB 1984 - Shellback Initiation - 20 FEB 1984 - Pacific Ocean
NOV 1993 - MAY 1994 West Pac
APR 1995 - SEP 1995 West Pac
SEP 1996 - MAR 1997 West Pac
MAR 1998 - Decommissioned: 13 MAR 1998

SSN-682 General Specifications

Class: Sturgeon-class attack submarine

Named for: The tunny

Complement: 110 Officers and Enlisted

Displacement: 4460 tons

Length: 302 feet

Beam: 31.7 feet

Flank Speed: 15 Knots

Final Disposition: Scrapping via Ship and Submarine Recycling Program began 1 October 1997 completed 27 October 1998


The second Tunny (SSN-682) was laid down on 22 May 1970 at Pascagoula, Miss., by the Ingalls Ship building Division of Litton Systems Inc.; launched on 10 June 1972; sponsored by Mrs. Lola Aiken; and commissioned on 26 January 1974 at Charleston, S.C., Comdr. Dennis Y. Sloan in command.

Tunny remained at Charleston, her home port, until March when she moved to Groton, Conn., for two weeks of in-port training at the submarine base. Between March and June, she conducted shakedown training in the West Indies and along the east coast. From June to August, the nuclear-powered submarine conducted normal operations out of Charleston before heading north to the Portsmouth (N.H.) Naval Shipyard where she began post-shakedown overhaul on 12 August. The warship completed repairs on 5 October and headed back to Charleston where she resumed normal training operations.

In February 1975, Tunny began preparations for her first deployment to the Mediterranean. She stood out of Charleston and headed across the Atlantic on 6 March and changed operational control to the 6th Fleet 10 days later. During the first part of her tour in the Mediterranean, the submarine operated with Task Force (TF) 60 conducting antisubmarine (ASW) exercises with the other ships of the unit. Following refit and tender upkeep in June and early July at Santo Stefano, Sardinia, Tunny rejoined the 6th Fleet as a unit of TF 69 and resumed ASW training. After participating in a major 6th Fleet exercise late in July and early in August, the warship departed the Mediterranean for home. She changed operational control from 6th Fleet to the Atlantic Fleet Submarine Force on 17 August and arrived in Charleston 12 days later. After post-deployment stand down in September and a shipyard availability at Charleston in October and November, she resumed operations-mostly type training-out of Charleston on 20 November.

Type training along the South Carolina and Florida coasts occupied her time during the first month of 1976. February brought inspections and examinations; and, in March, she participated in two special operations designed to help develop and evaluate submarine tactics. In May, Tunny began preparations for her second tour of duty with the 6th Fleet but did not embark upon that assignment for over two months. In the meantime, she conducted one exercise-in mine warfare-in June. Finally, on 26 July, she sailed out of Charleston on her way to the Mediterranean. Following a visit to Lisbon, Portugal, the attack submarine joined the 6th Fleet on 11 August. After a month of ASW training, highlighted by Exercise "National Week XXI," the warship put into Santo Stefano for a month of upkeep alongside Howard W. Gilmore (AS-16). In October, she returned to sea for ASW training operations punctuated periodically with a visit to Naples or upkeep at Santo Stefano. That routine continued until 11 December, when she departed Santo Stefano to return to the United States. Arriving in Charleston on 22 December, she commenced a combination of holiday leave and up keep and post-deployment stand down.

January 1977 found Tunny undergoing an extensive upkeep following her Mediterranean deployment. She then resumed operations off the east coast which extended through the spring and summer months. In mid-September, the attack submarine commenced a two-month Selected Restricted Availability (SRA) at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard which was concluded in late November, followed by a short sea trial period. Following refresher training at the Naval Submarine School, New London, Tunny returned to Charleston for the Christmas holidays.

Tunny spent January and part of February 1978 preparing for a North Atlantic deployment which commenced in late February and concluded in late April. In July, Tunny's home port was changed to Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, and the ship transited to that port on 19 August. The remainder of the year was devoted to local operations in preparation for a forthcoming deployment to the western Pacific in 1979.

[Note: The above USS TUNNY (SSN-682) history may, or may not, contain text provided by crew members of the USS TUNNY (SSN-682), or by other non-crew members, and text from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships]