USS PLEDGE (MSO-492)
The second Pledge (MSO-492)
was laid down on 24 June 1954 by the J. M. Martinac Shipbuilding Corp.
launched 20 July 1955
sponsored by Mrs. T. F. Uitsch
and commissioned 20 April 1956
Lt. Thomas D. Pfundstein in command.
After sea trials
Pledge joined her sister ships at Long Beach
25 May 1956. Following training from July 1956 to February 1957 she operated in WESTPAC March to September 1957. She underwent modification from October 1957 to March 1958.
Deployed to WESTPAC 24 August 1961
she visited Bangkok
in December. In early 1962 she participated in special training operations at Da Nang
Vietnam until her departure 17 February. Her deployment to WESTPAC
12 August 1963 included exercises with South Korean ships in October and Nationalist Chinese ships in November. On her next assignment to WESTPAC
13 August 1965
She performed coastal surveillance duties off the Republic of Vietnam from 18 October to 16 November 1965 and from 18 December into early 1966.
Pledge was decommissioned and stricken 31 January 1994
Pledge was sold to Taiwan on 8 March of that year.
[Note: The above USS PLEDGE (MSO-492) history may or may not contain text provided by crew members of the USS PLEDGE (MSO-492) or by other non-crew members and text from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships]