MSO-491 General Specifications
Class: Aggressive-class minesweeper
Complement: 74 Officers and Enlisted
Displacement: 775 tons
Length: 172 feet
Beam: 36 feet
Draft: 10 feet
Final Disposition: Unknown
USS PERSISTENT (MSO-491)
(MSO-491) was laid down 17 June 1954 as AM491 by J. M.
Martinac Shipbuilding Corp., Tacoma, Washington; reclassified MSO-491 on 7
February 1955; launched 23 April 1955; sponsored by Mrs. M.S. Erdahl; and
commissioned 3 February 1956, Lt. Theodore R. Johnson in command.
Following Pacific coast shakedown, Persistent reported for duty to
Commander, Pacific Fleet, 2 March 1956 and was designated flagship for Mine
Division 91 the same day. In September 1956 she was modified for advanced sound
reduction to protect against acoustic mines.
In August 1957 she deployed to WestPac as
part of Mine Countermeasures Group, 7th Fleet. After return to Long Beach for
regular overhaul in February 1958 and completion of type training that year,
she engaged in research at the Navy Acoustic Range, Puget Sound, September
1959. Later that year she measured ocean currents under assignment to Scripps
Institute of Oceanography.
After another deployment to WestPac in 1960, she returned to
California in July. After type training in 1961, she deployed to WestPac in
January 1962, assisting in the training of South Vietnamese sailors from January
to August. After domestic operations in 1963, she deployed annually to WestPac
from 1964 to 1968. Into 1970 she remained active with the Pacific Fleet.
[Note: The above USS PERSISTENT (MSO-491) history may, or may not, contain text provided by crew members of the USS PERSISTENT (MSO-491), or by other non-crew members, and text from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships]