USS RIVAL (MSO-468)
The first Rival
(AM-421) was laid down 1 February 1952 by the Luders Marine Construction Co.,
Stamford, Conn.; redesignated AM-468; launched 15 August 1953; sponsored by
Mrs. F. X. Forest; and commissioned 3 September 1954, Lt. William M. Georgen in
Redesignated MSO-468 in February 1955, Rival was assigned as flagship, Mine Division 85 during shakedown.
In March 1955 she began operations out of her homeport of Charleston, S.C.
Based there since that time, she has operated primarily along the east coast,
rotating biennially, except for 1962, to the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean.
She has participated in Fleet and NATO exercises and, in 1966, in the
successful search (20 February to 8 April) for a nuclear bomb lost off
Palomares, Spain. During her operations with the 2d Fleet, she has conducted
exercises in the Charleston area and off Puerto Rico and has provided services
at Yorktown, Va. and at Mayport and Panama City, Fla. In 1961, she added
Caribbean deployments to her schedule and continued them through the decade.
In December 1968, Rival
returned from her last Mediterranean cruise of the 1960s. Through 1969 she
remained in the western Atlantic and in the Caribbean. In 1970, she prepared
for modernization. She arrived at the Todd Shipyard, Brooklyn N. Y., on 10 June
to begin the work, however the contract was terminated 16 October 1970 for the
convenience of the government. Rival,
along with three other ships of her class, was towed to Philadelphia Naval
Shipyard for storage pending final disposition. In August 1971, the four ships,
including Rival, were sold to Mr.
Charles Gural of Rohway, N.J.
14 October 2005
[Note: The above USS RIVAL (MSO-468) history may, or may not, contain text provided by crew members of the USS RIVAL (MSO-468), or by other non-crew members, and text from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships]