USS DETECTOR (MSO-429)
The second Detector (AM-429) was launched 5 December 1952 by Astoria
Marine Construction Co., Astoria, Oreg.;
sponsored by Mrs. W. Norblad; and commissioned
26 January 1954, Lieutenant Commander J. E. Tingle in command. She was reclassified MSO-429, 7 February 1955.
Detector sailed from San Diego 18 October
1954 to join Mine Force, Atlantic Fleet, and arrived at Charleston,
S.C., 8 November. Along with her operations in the local area and off
Florida on mine exercises, she served tours of duty with the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean in 1956, 1957, and 1959. She cruised to
northern Europe between 12 May and 30 September 1958 and through 1962
took part in training and amphibious exercises.
[Note: The above USS DETECTOR (MSO-429) history may, or may not, contain text provided by crew members of the USS DETECTOR (MSO-429), or by other non-crew members, and text from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships]