MSC-197 General Specifications
Class: Falcon-class minesweeper
Complement: 39 Officers and Enlisted
Displacement: 362 tons
Length: 144 feet 3 inches
Beam: 27 feet 1 inches
Draft: 12 feet
Final Disposition: Sold for scrap 1 December 1976
USS PARROT (MSC-197)
was laid down as AMS-197 on 23 December 1953 at Broward
Marine Inc., Fort Fauderdale, Fla.; launched 27 November 1954; sponsored by
Mrs. S. Heuer; reclassified MSC-197 on 7 February 1955; and commissioned 28
June 1955, Lt. (j.g.) R. K. Fontaine in command.
After fitting out and training, Parrot, along with four other
minesweepers, participated in cold weather minesweeping exercises in the North
Atlantic. Parrot then moved to
Charleston, her base for exercises and training operations in the Caribbean and
the Gulf Stream. She remained there until January 1958, when she sailed north
to participate in her first NATO exercise. Upon completion, she returned to the
Caribbean area where she remained into 1961, conducting training exercises and
serving as training ship for the Mine Warfare School. In March 1961, she
assisted in helping to evaluate the new helicopter method of minesweeping.
After completion of this duty, she returned to her training and patrol duties.
On 22 October 1962, Parrot
was ordered to get underway, with no destination being specified. She was
later directed to assist in the Cuban Quarantine operation. After this duty,
she returned to Charleston. Once again she resumed her training and patrolling
duties. On 1 March 1963, she left Charleston with orders to search for the
overdue SS Sulphur Queen. Finding nothing, Parrot returned to port on 18 March.
Resuming patrol duties and training exercises, Parrot also made annual
deployments to the Caribbean until August 1968. Decommissioned and placed in
service 26 September 1968, Parrot became a Naval Reserve Training Ship at
Atlantic City where she continues into 1970.
[Note: The above USS PARROT (MSC-197) history may, or may not, contain text provided by crew members of the USS PARROT (MSC-197), or by other non-crew members, and text from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships]