Click Here

Click to view crew list

USS VAN VOORHIS (DE-1028) - a Dealey-class destroyer escort

In Commission 1957 to 1972

DE-1028 Deployments - Major Events

Add a DE-1028 Shellback Initiation Add a DE-1028 Deployment - Major Event
Month Year to Month Year Deployment / Event
AUG 1955 - Keel Date: 29 AUG 1955
at New York Shipbuilding Company
JUL 1956 - Launch Date: 28 JUL 1956
APR 1957 - Commissioned: 22 APR 1957
FEB 1959 - Shellback Initiation - 2 FEB 1959 - Atlantic Ocean
FEB 1959 - Shellback Initiation - 21 FEB 1959 - Atlantic Ocean
MAR 1963 - Shellback Initiation - 17 MAR 1963 - Atlantic Ocean
OCT 1965 - Shellback Initiation - 10 OCT 1965 - Atlantic Ocean
NOV 1965 - Shellback Initiation - 27 NOV 1965 - Atlantic Ocean
JAN 1966 - JAN 1967 Blue Nose - Arctic Circle
SEP 1966 - Shellback Initiation - 21 SEP 1966 - Atlantic Ocean
SEP 1966 - DEC 1966 South America
SEP 1966 - DEC 1966 UNITAS
SEP 1966 - Shellback Initiation - 18 SEP 1966 - Pacific Ocean
SEP 1968 - Shellback Initiation - 25 SEP 1968 - Atlantic Ocean
SEP 1968 - JUN 1970 Great Lakes
JUL 1972 - Decommissioned: 1 JUL 1972

DE-1028 General Specifications

Class: Dealey-class destroyer escort

Named for: Bruce Van Voorhis

Complement: 170 Officers and Enlisted

Displacement: 1877 tons

Length: 314 feet 6 inches

Beam: 36 feet 9 inches

Flank Speed: 27 knots

Range: 6 000 Nautical Miles

Final Disposition:Sold for scrap 15 June 1973


Van Voorhis (DE-1028) was laid down on 29 August 1955 at Camden N.J. by the New York Shipbuilding Co.; launched on 28 July 1956 sponsored by Mrs. Kathryn Van Voorhis the widow of Lt. Comdr. Van Voorhis; and commissioned at Philadelphia Pa. on 22 April 1957 Lt. Comdr. Joseph J. Doak Jr. in command.

Following shakedown training near Guantanamo Bay Cuba during the summer Van Voorhis reported at Newport R.I. for duty with Escort Squadron (CortRon) 14. The destroyer escort conducted operations along the east coast of North America until May 1958 when she sailed across the Atlantic for a cruise with the 6th Fleet. While operating with other ships of the 6th Fleet near Crete she was ordered to the eastern end of the Mediterranean in mid-July to patrol off the Levantine coast. She supported the marines who landed in Lebanon in response to President Chamoun's request for help during a crisis precipitated by Arab nationalist factions in reaction to his administration's pro-Western policies and its adherence to the "Eisenhower Doctrine." President Eisenhower's personal representative Robert Murphy helped the factions to negotiate a settlement which resulted in the election of General Chahib to the presidency on 31 July. President Chamoun's refusal to yield office before the expiration of his term kept the country in turmoil until late September. However political conditions in Lebanon remained highly volatile so American forces remained there until after General Chahib took office in September. During this period Van Voorhis alternated normal 6th Fleet operations with patrols off Lebanon. Late in September the warship departed the Mediterranean and returned to Newport early in October.

Upon her return the warship operated along the east coast until February of 1959 when she joined the other ships of her squadron in a three-month cruise to South America. She reentered Newport late in April and resumed local operations once more. She continued that employment through June 1960. The following month she departed the United States for duty in the eastern Atlantic. During that six-week cruise Van Voorhis joined other Navy ships and units of Allied navies in a NATO exercise. She also visited Greenwich England and Greenock Scotland before returning to Newport where after upkeep she resumed antisubmarine warfare operations. She remained so occupied through the remainder of 1960. Over the following two years the destroyer escort continued the routine of summer operations out of Newport and winter training in the West Indies. In the autumn of 1962 when the United States subjected Cuba to a quarantine in order to keep offensive missiles from the strategically situated island Van Voorhis moved to Mayport Fla. to support the blockade-type operation. After spending the last week of the quarantine in Mayport she returned north without having actually participated in the operation.

In December the warship began preparations for another overseas deployment. On 15 February 1963 she cleared port for a three-month goodwill cruise to Africa-"Solant Amity IV." During the first half of the cruise she moved south along the eastern coast of Africa and called at Monrovia Liberia; Lagos Nigeria; Pointe Noiro in the Congo; and Capteown South Africa. After rounding the Cape of Good Hope she moved north up the eastern coast of Africa and visited Lourenco Marques Mozambique; Diego Suarez in the Malagasy Republic; and Mombasa Kenya. She continued north to Aden transited the Red Sea and the Suez Canal and entered the Mediterranean on 1 May. During the first two weeks of May Van Voorhis crossed the Mediterranean making liberty calls at Athens Naples and Barcelona along the way. She rounded out the voyage with one-day stops at Gibraltar and the Azores and reentered Newport on 24 May.

Following upkeep she conducted ASW exercises in July and made a midshipman cruise to Bermuda. Additional ASW training off the Florida coast ensued before the ship returned to Newport in October. For the remainder of 1963 and throughout 1964 the destroyer escort operated along the eastern seaboard. On 8 August 1964 she was reassigned to CortRon 8 as the squadron flagship. She continued ASW training exercises through 1964 and during the first part of January 1965.

During the latter part of the month the ship entered the Boston Naval Shipyard for a six-week availability during which she received control equipment associated with the Drone Antisubmarine Helicopter (DASH) system. The installation was completed early in March and Van Voorhis departed Boston on the 9th to participate in the annual "Springboard" exercises conducted in the Caribbean. Upon completion of that assignment Van Voorhis returned north to receive her DASH helicopters. She arrived in Norfolk on 29 March and began three weeks of tests and qualifications with the DASH system. The first destroyer escort to receive DASH Van Voorhis completed her qualification trials in April and returned to her home port on the 21st.

The ship continued to work out of Newport through the following four and one-half years primarily conducting operations in the western Atlantic. She sharpened her antisubmarine warfare skills constantly as she participated in numerous exercises along the entire North American coastline and in the Caribbean. In 1966 and 1967 she made cruises around South America in which she visited a number of South American ports and participated in bilateral and multilateral exercises with warships of various South American countries. During the first five months of 1969 her sphere of operations was centered around Florida and the West Indies. In June she returned to Newport for a short time before resuming operations in the Caribbean in July. Through the fall and winter of 1969 she alternated between Newport and the Fleet Sonar School at Key West Fla.

In January 1970 Van Voorhis began preparations for conversion to a research and development platform to test the Interim Towed Array Surveillance System (ITASS). Late that month her DASH equipment was removed to make room for the ITASS submarine detection gear. On 9 February she entered the Bethlehem Steel Shipyards in East Boston to begin the actual conversion. Over the next month her new equipment was installed and her DASH hangar was modified to provide a berthing area for the additional crew members necessitated by the ITASS. Van Voorhis completed the conversion early in March and for the next four months she conducted a series of tests on the experimental equipment in the vicinity of Bermuda. <

From late June to late August she prepared to deploy to the Mediterranean. She departed Newport on 26 August 1970 passed through the Straits of Gibraltar on 6 September and arrived at Naples on the 9th. The destroyer escort operated with the 6th Fleet conducting surveillance patrols with her new ITASS gear until near the end of November. During the intervening two months she also called at such places as Barcelona Mallorca Crete and Naples. On 17 November she turned the 6th Fleet ITASS responsibility over to her relief Lester (DE-1022). After a liberty call at Palma de Mallorca and change of operational control at Rota Spain Van Voorhis set out to recross the Atlantic on 26 November and arrived in Newport on 6 December.

Van Voorhis began 1971 in port at Newport and operated from that base during the first eight months of the year. In September the warship underwent an inspection and survey which found her to be unfit for further naval service. She remained moored at Newport until the following summer. Van Voorhis was decommissioned on 1 July 1972 and her name was struck from the Navy list simultaneously. On 15 June 1973 she was sold to the Union Minerals and Alloys Corp. of New York City and was subsequently scrapped.

[Note: The above USS VAN VOORHIS (DE-1028) history may or may not contain text provided by crew members of the USS VAN VOORHIS (DE-1028) or by other non-crew members and text from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships]