DD-936 General Specifications
Class: Forrest Sherman class destroyer
Named for: Stephen Decatur
Final Disposition: Disposed of in support of Fleet training exercise 21 July 2004
USS DECATUR (DD-936)
The fourth Decatur (DD-936) was launched 16 December 1954 by Bethlehem Steel Co.
Mass.; sponsored by Mrs. W. A. Pierce and Mrs. D. J. Armsden
descendants of Commodore Decatur
and commissioned 7 December 1956
Commander J. J. Skahill in command.
Decatur sailed from Newport 3 September 1957 to take part in NATO Operation "Strikeback
" calling at Largs and Rosyth
before returning to Newport 22 October. She served on local operations until 1 February l 958 when she sailed to the Mediterranean for a tour of duty with the 6th Fleet. She returned to her home port 28 August for east coast operations.
She returned to the Mediterranean for duty between 7 August 1959 and 26 February 1960
then joined in antisubmarine exercises and a midshipman cruise in the Atlantic between March and September. On 6 September Decatur sailed on a cruise which took her north of the Arctic Circle
through the Mediterranean and the Suez Canal
into the Arabian Sea and Indian Ocean
and back to the Mediterranean where she operated with the 6th Fleet. The destroyer returned to Newport in mid-December.
[Note: The above USS DECATUR (DD-936) history may or may not contain text provided by crew members of the USS DECATUR (DD-936) or by other non-crew members and text from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships]