DD-351 USS MACDONOUGH
USS Macdonough received its name in honor of Captain Thomas Macdonough, a noted Navy captain from the early part of the 19th century. The Navy brought her into service upon her commission in March 1935. After shakedown in Atlantic waters, the Navy sent her to the Pacific. In 1939, she made for a new home at Pearl Harbor. The ship was in port on December 7, 1941, when the Japanese struck Pearl Harbor. However, she was undamaged.
USS Macdonough served as escort and patrol for the months following. She operated with the USS Saratoga in the campaign at Guadalcanal in August 1942. She participated in the following Battle of the Eastern Solomons. After a minor overhaul, she provided aid during the Aleutian recovery campaign in April 1943. A collision caused her to go back to port for repairs. She went back to action for the invasions of Makin and the Marshall Islands. She helped with sinking at least two Japanese submarines in this time frame. She continued work in the Marianas and Leyte. After another overhaul in early 1945, she served in radar pickets and provided escort. The Navy decommissioned her in October 1945 and sold her for scrapping in December 1946.
DD-351 General Specifications
Class: Farragut-class destroyer
Named for: Thomas Macdonough
Complement: 160 Officers and Enlisted
Displacement: 1395 tons
Length: 341 feet 4 inches
Beam: 34 feet 3 inches
Flank Speed: 36 kts
Range: 6500 Nautical Miles
Final Disposition:Sold 20 December 1946 and broken up for scrap