DD-103 USS SCHLEY
USS Schley received its name in honor of Rear Admiral Winfield Schley noted for a long distinguished 45-year Naval career. The Navy brought her into service upon her commission in September 1918. She served on various voyages in the Atlantic and Mediterranean until her first decommission in June 1922. As the Second World War heated up, the Navy brought her back into commission in October 1940. She joined the fleet at Pearl Harbor later that year for exercises and patrol work. She entered harbor for an overhaul and was present for the Japanese attack on December 7, 1941. She received very minor damage. The Navy completed her overhaul quickly so she could take up duty again.
For the next year, USS Schley patrolled waters around the Pearl Harbor channel. In December 1942, she underwent a transformation to a fast transport and received a new designation as APD-14. She returned to Pearl in February 1943 before heading to the South Pacific. For the next few months, she trained with Marines and provided transport amongst the islands. Her first landing operation was at New Georgia. She participated in further landings at Kwajalein, Eniwetok, Aitape, Mindoro, Lingayen, and Manila Bay. In July 1945, the Navy redesignated her as DD-103 but did not return to active duty. The Navy decommissioned her in November 1945 and scrapped in March of 1946.