What's your Rating?
AB AC AD AE AG AK AM AO AS AT AW AZ BM BT BU
CE CM CS CT DC DK DM DP DS DT EA EM EN EO ET
FC FT GM GS (53-61) GS (78-Now) HM HT IC IM IT JO LI
MA (48-67) MA (72-Now) ME ML MM MN MR MS MT MU NAVY NC ND OM OS
PC PH PM PN PR QM RD (WW2) RD (48-72) RM SD SF SH SK SM
SO ST SV SW TM UT WT YN NAVY DIVER
Click on your Rating abbreviation above:


USS ALBANY

(CG-10)

Assiduity

Click to view crew list
 

The USS ALBANY (CG-10), an Oregon City-class heavy cruiser, was commissioned on 15 JUN 1946 as CA-123. USS ALBANY served her country for 34 years, 2 months and 14 days, until decommissioned on 29 AUG 1980. Commissioned after WW II, ALBANY served on the East Cost in the late 1940s and into the 1950s. In 1958 she was placed out of commission and commenced a four year retro-fit to become a guided missile cruiser, CG-11. Exiting the ship yard in November 1962, ALBANY began a second chapter of East Coast service, but this time with periodic deployments to the Mediterranean, Caribbean and North Atlantic until 1975. From 1976 to 1980, USS ALBANY served as the Flag Ship of the 6th Fleet and was homeported in Gaeta, Italy. ALBANY was decommissioned in August 1980 and subsequently sold for dismantling in 1990.

The USS ALBANY (CG-10) deployment history and significant events of her service career follow:

CG-10 Deployments - Major Events

Add a CG-10 Shellback Initiation Add a CG-10 Deployment - Major Event
Month Year to Month Year Deployment / Event
MAR 1944 Keel Date: 6 MAR 1944
JUN 1945 Launch Date: 30 JUN 1945
JUN 1946 Commissioned: 15 JUN 1946
DEC 1962 - JAN 1963 Sea Trials
JAN 1963 - MAR 1963 Caribbean
AUG 1963 - SEP 1963 Guantanamo Bay
NOV 1963 - APR 1964 Mediterranean
SEP 1964 - OCT 1964 North Atlantic
MAR 1965 - MAR 1965 Caribbean
MAY 1965 - OCT 1965 Mediterranean
DEC 1965 - DEC 1965 Caribbean
JAN 1966 - FEB 1966 Caribbean
FEB 1966 - MAR 1966 H-bomb retrieval off Palomares Spain (command ship)
MAR 1966 - OCT 1966 Mediterranean
DEC 1966 - DEC 1966 Caribbean
AUG 1968 - SEP 1968 Guantanamo Bay
JAN 1969 - JAN 1971 Mediterranean
FEB 1970 - SEP 1970 Mediterranean
JAN 1971 - JUL 1971 Mediterranean
SEP 1971 - OCT 1971 Guantanamo Bay
JAN 1973 - JUN 1974 North Atlantic-Med-Indian Ocean
AUG 1975 - NOV 1975 North Atlantic
SEP 1976 - AUG 1978 Mediterranean
OCT 1976 - MAR 1977 Mediterranean
FEB 1977 - OCT 1980 Mediterranean
SEP 1978 - Shellback Initiation - 12 SEP 1978 - Atlantic Ocean
NOV 1978 - NOV 1980 Mediterranean
AUG 1980 Decommissioned: 29 AUG 1980

CG-10 General Specifications

Complement: 1 969 officers and enlisted

Displacement: 13700 tons

Length: 673 feet 5 inches

Beam: 70 feet 10 inches

Draft: 26 feet 4 in

Flank Speed: 32 Knots



USS ALBANY (CG-10)



The fourth Albany (CA-123) was laid down on 6 March 1944 at Quincy, Mass., by the Bethlehem Steel Co.; launched on 30 June 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Elizabeth F. Pinckney; and commissioned on 15 June 1946 at the Boston Navy Yard, Capt. Harold A. Carlisle in command.

Following outfitting and a shakedown cruise in the vicinity of Casco Bay, Maine, Albany began operations along the east coast of the United States punctuated with cruises to the West Indies. During the ensuing months, the cruiser made a number of voyages for the purpose of training naval reservists and NROTC midshipmen. Albany continued to perform such duty until 11 September 1948 when she stood out of Chesapeake Bay for her first tour of duty with the American naval forces operating in the Mediterranean Sea, recently made a permanent establishment as the 6th Fleet. That deployment set the tone for the next decade. The cruiser alternated five assignments to the 6th Fleet with operations along the east coast of the United States and in the West Indies and made three cruises to South American ports. During one of the South American voyages, Albany carried the official United States representative to the inauguration of the President of Brazil in January 1951.

On 30 June 1958, Albany was placed out of commission at the Boston Naval Shipyard to begin conversion to a guided missile cruiser. On 1 November 1958, she was redesignated CG-10. The warship spent the next four years at Boston undergoing very extensive modifications as part of the conversion. The ship was recommissioned at Boston on 3 November 1962, Capt. Ben B. Pickett in command. For almost five years, she again alternated deployments to European waters-both to the Mediterranean Sea and to the North Atlantic-with operations along the east coast and in the West Indies. During that time, the cruiser visited many foreign ports and participated in a number of exercises with units of friendly navies. On 1 March 1967, she was decommissioned at the Boston Naval Shipyard once again to undergo extensive modifications. Some 20 months later, on 9 November 1968, the guided missile cruiser was placed back in commission at Boston, Capt. Robert C. Peniston in command.

However, the warship did not complete her rehabilitation and modernization overhaul until the summer of 1969. On 5 July, she stood out of Boston on her way-via Yorktown, Va., and Norfolk, Va.-to Mayport, Fla., her new home port. After several weeks of preparations, Albany embarked upon her shakedown cruise to the West Indies on 15 September. On 31 October, the guided missile cruiser returned to Mayport to begin operations with the Atlantic Fleet. Late in February 1970, Albany embarked upon her first deployment to European waters since her modernization overhaul. During the next six years, she made three cruises to the Mediterranean and completed one assignment to northern European waters. On 10 August 1976, Albany put to sea from Norfolk, bound for an extended tour of duty with the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean Sea. Operating from her overseas home port at Gaeta, Italy, she served as flagship for the Commander, 6th Fleet, for almost four years.

Relieved of that duty at Gaeta by Puget Sound (AD-38) on 28 May 1980, the guided missile cruiser embarked upon the voyage back to the United States on 2 June. After stops at Mallorca, Spain, and Lisbon, Portugal, she arrived in New York City on 20 June. From there, the warship moved south to Hampton Roads, Va. On 29 August 1980, Albany was placed out of commission at Norfolk, Va. She was berthed with the Norfolk Group, Atlantic Reserve Fleet. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 30 June 1985. However, as of the beginning of 1987, the ship was still there.

[Note: The above USS ALBANY (CG-10) history may, or may not, contain text provided by crew members of the USS ALBANY (CG-10), or by other non-crew members, and text from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships]