USS SAMOSET (ATA-190)
ATA-190, originally projected as ATR-117, was
laid down on 29 September 1944 by the
Levingston Shipbuilding Co., Orange,
Tex.; launched on 26 October 1944; and commissioned on 1 January 1945,
Lt. (jg.) Elmo D. Twiehaus in command.
Following shakedown, ATA-190,
an auxiliary ocean tug, proceeded
to Panama; thence, with YN-108 in tow, continued on to Pearl Harbor.
Arriving on 4 March, she departed 10
days later; and, on 9 April, she
delivered her tows, a YF and a barge, to Guam. Joining ServRon 10 there, she
got underway again on the 20th; and,
by the end of the month, had delivered a pontoon barge to Kenmu Wan, Okinawa. On 3 May, she shifted to the Hagushi anchorage. On the 5th,
she proceeded to Kerama Retto. On the
6th, she sailed southeast; and, during the remaining months of World War II, she took tows from the Carolines and the
New Hebrides to the Philippines and,
from the latter, escorted a convoy of landing craft to Okinawa.
When the war ended in
mid-August, the ATA was at San Pedro
Bay, Philippines. In early September, she moved up to Okinawa again, then proceeded to Japan, anchoring off Wakayama on the 8th. For the next
month, she assisted the minecraft sweeping
the entrance to Kii Suido and participated in harbor clearance salvage
operations in the wake of a typhoon. In October,
she shifted to Nagoya; again assisted in opening shipping lanes to peacetime traffic, then commenced
guide-and-pilot-vessel duties in that area.
In December, ATA-190 shifted
to Yokosuka; assisted in rebuilding
facilities there; and, in March 1946,
she got underway for the United States. Steaming via Okinawa, Peleliu, Subic Bay, and Pearl Harbor, she arrived in San
Francisco Bay on 29 July; transited
the Panama Canal in mid-September; and moored
at Norfolk on the 26th.
The ATA, assigned to the
10th Naval District, commenced towing
operations out of Puerto Rico at the end of October. For the next three
years, she operated primarily in the
Caribbean, with occasional tows to, and
temporary duty at, ports on the southeast coast of the United States. Named Samoset on 16 July
1948, she was assigned to the 5th
Naval District in November 1949 and
arrived at her new homeport, Norfolk, in mid-December. From that time, through
the 1950's, and until August of
1969, she provided towing services for that
district; for various commands of the Atlantic Fleet; and in support of Office of Naval Research and Oceanographic Office projects.
On 12 August 1969, Samoset
was ordered inactivated. A month
later, on 12 September, she was decommissioned at Norfolk; and, on 3 December 1970, she was transferred to the
custody of the Maritime Administration and berthed in the James River as a unit of the National Defense
Reserve Fleet, where she remains as of 30 June 1974.
ATA-190 earned one battle star for World War II service.
[Note: The above USS SAMOSET (ATA-190) history may, or may not, contain text provided by crew members of the USS SAMOSET (ATA-190), or by other non-crew members, and text from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships]