USS PICKET (AGR-7)
(YAGR-7) was laid down 28 March 1945 as S.S. James F. Harrell (MCE hull 3138) by J.
A. Jones Construction Co., Panama City, Fla.; launched 17 May 1945; sponsored
by Mrs. Alice Harrell; and delivered for merchant marine service 11 June 1945.
As a merchant ship, James F. Harrell served Alcoa Steamship Lines June to October 1945.
Following assignment to the National Defense Reserve Fleet, James River, Va., 6
October 1945 to 31 January 1947, she served U.S. Navigation Co., Baltimore,
Md., January 1947 to August 1948. Her next merchant duty was for Boland and
Cornelius Co., New York, August 1948. Picket
remained in the National Defense Reserve Fleet, Wilmington, 29 August 1948
to 11 July 1955.
Acquired by the Navy 12 July 1955, and
renamed Picket, the merchant ship was
towed to the Navy Yard, Portsmouth, Va., for conversion to radar station ship
YAGR-7. She commissioned 8 February 1956, and was reclassified AGR-7 on 28
From 1956 to 1965, Picket used her long range radar and communications equipment to
serve the North American Air Defense Command. She provided vital radar
information on seaward air approaches to the Pacific coast. She spent more than
half of 1964 at sea, on various stations 500 to 600 miles off the west coast of
the U.S. and Canada. Her sea tours usually included 30 to 35 days at sea,
followed by 15 to 30 days in San Francisco between patrols.
Struck from the Naval Vessel Register 1 September 1965, Picket joined the Maritime
Administration Reserve Fleet, Suisun Bay, San Francisco, Calif., where she
remains in 1970.
[Note: The above USS PICKET (AGR-7) history may, or may not, contain text provided by crew members of the USS PICKET (AGR-7), or by other non-crew members, and text from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships]