USS SIRIUS (AF-60)
The second Sirius (AF-60), ex-SS Tradewind (MC
hull 185), was laid down on 5 January 1942 by Moore Dry Dock
Co., Oakland, Calif.; launched on 11 April 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Olga
Johnson; and delivered to the Maritime Administration on 30 April 1943.
by the Navy from the Maritime Administration
on 18 May 1956 and commissioned on 12 January
1957 at San Francisco. On 26 April, she sailed for Sasebo, Japan, arriving on 14 May. Sirius was to spend
most of her commissioned service plying between ports in the Far East and with the 7th Fleet. She supplied fleet units in
Japan; Hong Kong, B.C.C.; the Philippine Islands; Okinawa; and Taiwan.
Sirius was struck from the Navy list on
1 August 1965 and returned to the Maritime Administration. She was subsequently
sold to West Waterway Lumber Co., Seattle, Wash., on 13 April 1971.
[Note: The above USS SIRIUS (AF-60) history may, or may not, contain text provided by crew members of the USS SIRIUS (AF-60), or by other non-crew members, and text from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships]