The USS HALEAKALA (AE-25), a Nitro-class ammunition ship, was commissioned on 3 NOV 1959. USS HALEAKALA served her country for 34 years, 1 month and 7 days, until decommissioned on 10 DEC 1993. Built by the Bethlehem Steel Shipbuilding Company in Baltimore, Maryland, USS HALEAKALA traveled to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba for REFTRA after commissioning. In March 1960 she transited the Panama Canal and on to her homeport of San Fransisco, CA. In July 1960 HALEAKALA departed on the first of many Western Pacific deployments. HALEAKALA voyaged to the Coast of Vietnam annually from 1965 to 1972. Decommissioned in December 1993, USS HALEAKALA was subsequently transferred to the National Defense Reserve Fleet.
The USS HALEAKALA (AE-25) deployment history and significant events of her service career follow:
AE-25 General Specifications
Class: Nitro-class ammunition ship
Named for: Haleakala
Complement: 331 Officers and Enlisted
Displacement: 8300 tons
Length: 512 feet
Beam: 72 feet
Flank Speed: 20 knots
Final Disposition: Sold 28 March 1994
USS HALEAKALA (AE-25)
Haleakala (AE-25) was launched 17 February 1959 by Bethlehem-Sparrows Point Shipyard
Md.; sponsored by Mrs. Maurice E. Curts
wife of Vice Admiral Curts; and commissioned 3 November 1959
Captain Miles P. Refo
After shakedown out of Guantanamo Bay Haleakala transited the Panama Canal and visited Chile and Costa Rica before arriving San Francisco 17 March 1960. The fifth of a new class of ammunition ships designed from the hull up for carrying and transferring at sea the latest in munitions and guided missiles
Haleakala spent the first part of April with Vega conducting replenishment exercises to test new equipment.
Haleakala departed San Francisco 7 July 1960 on her first Western Pacific deployment. Visiting Pearl Harbor
she provided services to various units of the 7th Fleet before returning to Port Chicago
19 December 1960.
Haleakala departed on her second deployment to the Western Pacific 18 April 1961 and again serviced units of the 7th Fleet
returning to Port Chicago 8 September. In October
in company with Mount Katmai
she steamed to Long Beach to participate in Exercise "Covered Wagon"
an effort to test realistically a representative Attack Carrier Strike Force in all of its wartime tasks in the face of opposition similar to that which might be expected of a potential enemy.
Haleakala made two subsequent deployments to the Western Pacific between 29 May 1962 and February 1964. She arrived Todd Shipyard
28 February 1964 for overhaul and modernization to increase her efficiency and safety. With conversion completed by May 1965
through the fall of 1965 Haleakala participated in Operation "Baseline." On 20 November she sailed for Yankee Station via Pearl Harbor to support combat operations in Vietnam
returning to Subic Bay 31 December.
Most of 1966 was spent on another WestPac deployment. Haleakala departed Subic Bay 23 August for the West Coast
arriving San Francisco 12 September. After training exercises off Mare Island through December
Haleakala returned for further replenishment operations off Vietnam into 1967.
[Note: The above USS HALEAKALA (AE-25) history may or may not contain text provided by crew members of the USS HALEAKALA (AE-25) or by other non-crew members and text from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships]