USS ARCADIA (AD-23)
The third Arcadia, was laid down by Todd
Shipyards Corp. on 6 March 1944 at Los Angeles, Calif.; launched on
19 November; sponsored by Mrs. Edward L. Beach, the widow of Capt. Edward L.
Beach; fitted out at Terminal Island, San Pedro, Calif.; and commissioned
on 13 September 1945, Capt. James M. Connally in command.
Following shakedown training off San Diego, the destroyer
tender departed the west coast to join the Atlantic Fleet at Charleston,
S.C. The war had been over for several months when she arrived at her
berth on the Wando River on 1 December. Arcadia served as
tender to destroyers joining the inactive fleet at Charleston, and she
also developed the official program for decommissioning and
inactivation to be used by tenders of her own class.
Arcadia was placed in commission, in
reserve, on 7 February 1947 and served as accommodation vessel for Submarine
Group 1 of the Charleston group, Atlantic Reserve Fleet. She was placed
in full commission on 1 August 1951 and assigned a new home
port, Newport, R.I., where she tended destroyers in the Narragansett Bay area.
Arcadia supported the Atlantic Fleet
with repair services into the 1970's. She served as 6th Fleet destroyer
tender during many deployments to the Mediterranean where she made working
visits to such ports as Naples, Italy; Cannes, France; Valencia, Palma,
and Barcelona, Spain; Lisbon, Portugal; Piraeus, Greece; and Istanbul, Turkey. The
tender visited the Caribbean while exercising
in yearly "Springboard" operations in the 1950's and 1960's, calling at ports in the Dominican
Republic, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, and the Virgin Islands.
October 1964, Arcadia steamed to Orange, Tex., to strip five mothballed high-speed transports for parts
needed by active duty destroyers. The six-week trip netted nearly $800,000 worth
of parts and equipment for use by the ships of the Atlantic Fleet.
Although she serviced destroyers primarily, Arcadia was
called upon in November 1966 to repair the aircraft carrier Saratoga
(CV-60). The tender departed Newport on 19 November for the cruise to
Mayport, Fla., where she remained until 13 December completing the repair work
needed following a Mediterranean cruise. She returned to Newport
and resumed her normal operations.
In both 1966 and 1967, Arcadia made cruises to Key
West and Mayport to provide services to Destroyer Division 601, Destroyer Squadron
16, and reserve training destroyers from various ports in the
Gulf of Mexico.
Arcadia was decommissioned on 28 June
1968, berthed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet contingent in the James River on 15 November, and formally transferred to the
Maritime Administration on 30 June 1969. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 1 July 1973, and she was sold to
Levin Metals of San Jose, Calif., in October 1975, and scrapped.
[Note: The above USS ARCADIA (AD-23) history may, or may not, contain text provided by crew members of the USS ARCADIA (AD-23), or by other non-crew members, and text from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships]